Find
Notify
Tools

knot holes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted
How would you fill in a couple real small knot holes in a stock.One is right where the checkering on the grip is going to be. The smallest is on the forarm. It might end up under checkering too.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
You can get some saw dust from the stock from under the butt plate area. Mix with a good 2 part epoxy and fill them a bit higher that surface of the wood and file and sand down smooth. The color match should be fairly good.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That ought to be fun to checker!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I don't know haw big the holes are that you are dealing with, but I have had good luck using slivers of the parent wood. If you fill the hole with a bit of epoxy and sawdust you can slip them in and once finished they will be invisible.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use Super Glue and sanding dust to fill the small knot holes. I have used epoxy also, but the super glue will dry very hard in a few minutes so you can go on with the work. I also use Super Glue to correct any slip on the checkering as well as having to replace a top of a checkering diamond. Wet the wood with the glue first and then pack the mixture into the problem area. A light bulb will speed up the glue with the heat.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently filled some small checks in a highly figured stock that had been stored in dry hot room. Using 2-part automotive clear coat (basically an epoxy finish) applied with small brush or Q-tip and sanding it with 400 wet/dry paper after 2 hours drying time. One check was so deep it took multiple applications to fill. This was on a stock that was already finished with a high gloss. Progressive sanding with finer paper and final polish with wheel and the defect was invisible. Available at Painter's Supply. Be sure to read the label carefully.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote