Find
Notify
Tools

Scope install help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
I have a buddy that had a Nikon target scope. The body is pretty short. He wants in on a Savage 110 25-06. Because of the turrets on the scope. The best measurements I have are from the front edge of the forward ring to the back of the back ring is right at 6 inches on standard weaver rings on this rifle. From the back of the turrets to where the scope objective just starts to flare is 5.25 inches.

I have looked and looked and cannot find rings of any type that shorten the distance enough for this scope to fit. There will be no eye relief adjustment I know. He is aware.

The best option I can come up with a set of Leupold bases with the front base extended and flipping it around. But I cannot find anywhere that gives me the measurement I need to see if this would work.

He really wants the scope on this rifle and I am telling him it is probably not possible. This scope came off a short action rifle and it barely fit on it, adjustment wise.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 762 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weaver makes offset rings which will work. Leupold makes a base which will work with their offset rings. You could also get a Weaver Picatinny rail which would allow any type of adjustment.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Got it thanks! Was not looking at it with that perspective. Big Grin

Posts: 762 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Leopold makes offset bases and offset front rings too.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I had the Redfield swing out mounts (similar to Leupold STD), with a front, inverted extension ring, on my go-to hunting rifle for 33 years and they never missed a beat.

The extension bit came back 30mm, so would probably help in your situation, and though the extra metal would seem to add flexing possibility, it was almost one with the scope's underside and may have reduced the exposure of the Kahles 2.3-7's objective to bumping.

Posts: 5021 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Installing a Picatinny rail will give you the best flexibility on ring placement.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote