Find
Notify
Tools

18 LPI or 20 LPI for Beginner.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I've built several muzzleloading rifles "from the block" and done 3 CF rifles from semi-inletted stocks. I'm pretty comfortable with shaping and finishing wood.

I want to start doing some checkering and was wondering if 20 LPI would be too fine for a beginner? Would 18 LPI be more practical? IMO 16 LPI is too course looking, so it would be a choice between 18 LPI for ease of working with and 20 LPI for better appearance.

I have 2 stocks that were removed from Mausers, one a 1970s era hardware store Fajen and another cut down military stock of some unknown vintage. Neither is being used for anything but dust collectors at this moment so I thought I would "practice" on them before moving on to doing a stock hat will be in a finished rifle.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either would work about the same. 20 would look better.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually, finer lines are easier as they are not as deep and coarser lines. Unfortunately I can't do either.....

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet a lot depends on your eye sight. Coarser checkering will show errors a lot more than real fine checkering

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I'd bet a lot depends on your eye sight. Coarser checkering will show errors a lot more than real fine checkering

That's why mine is so fine, you can't see it! Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Sounds like 20 LPI would be the best choice.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first started checkering 18 was more difficult being really deep lines. 20 and then 22 was easier as the lines were much more shallow. Eye sight is not as critical as one might think. Proper lighting and learning to throw shadows and contrast correctly is much more important.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Loupes, like the ones your Dentist wears are essential for me. If it looks good at 5x, it looks real good with the naked eye.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Magniviewer is essential. I use the 3x most of the time. 5x is too strong for me unless I'm doing something as small as engraving.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends somewhat on the wood too. Softer wood is often not as forgiving with finer patterns.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote