New
Find
Notify
Tools

22/250 ACKLEY neck size?
 Login/Join

<dennis hepner>
posted
my gunsmith has a reamer with a .258" neck, is that about right or do i need a tighter neck?
i plan on truing the case necks. i want to be able to use factory ammo in a pinch.
thanks,
dennis

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
A .258 neck on a 22-250 Ackley is quite generous. Have your gunsmith send it to Dave Kiff and have it honed to .255-.252. My reamer produces a .252 neck and will chamber factory 22-250's. Loaded rounds are .250. You will enjoy this cartridge. All the sizzle of a .220 swift without the problems.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Standard neck thickness on most brass will be .014 inches, so 2*.014 + .224 = .252. On tight neck chambers neck thickness will be about .010~.009. So my standard 22-250 has a .252 neck and my tight neck 223 chamber has .243

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
A .258 neck on a 22-250 Ackley is quite generous. Have your gunsmith send it to Dave Kiff and have it honed to .255-.252. My reamer produces a .252 neck and will chamber factory 22-250's. Loaded rounds are .250. You will enjoy this cartridge. All the sizzle of a .220 swift without the problems.-Rob

rob,
thanks for the reply. as far as having his reamer ground down, i don't think he'd think much of that idea as most of his clientel most likely don't do anything to the case other than trim.
i'll order one with a .252 neck. yeah,i'm looking forward to this one,
have you tried yours on big game? i guess PARKER ACKLEY hunted elk with a .220 SWIFT,MR. ACKLEY says in his book,"if i had to forsake all my rifles except one i'd pick the .220 SWIFT". to me that is a very heavy statement,considering what he had to chose from.
i've read several of your posts and in my opinion you have your feces consolidated.
thanks again,
dennis
do you have a favorite powder for this cartridge?, that you might share.

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DanD:
Standard neck thickness on most brass will be .014 inches, so 2*.014 + .224 = .252. On tight neck chambers neck thickness will be about .010~.009. So my standard 22-250 has a .252 neck and my tight neck 223 chamber has .243

dan,
thanks for the input, so, .252 it is. i hope this thing shoots. the rifle is a 700 REM LSS mountain rifle,presently in 30/06,shilen match grade SS barrel,.650" at the muzzle. 14" twist.
past experience with 22/250's has shown that sporter weight barrels leave something to be desired,as far as accuracy is concerned, all factory barrels.
thanks,
dennis

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
By all means order a reamer with a.252 neck. My 22-250 ackley has only been used on varmints as I prefer shooting big game with big bullets! Mine was built on a VZ24 mauser and a Shilen prethreaded heavy tapered barrel. My buddy and I built two identical guns. Since they were built on Mausers, I consider a .5 inch group excellent. Mine seems to like H414 and Sierra 52 gr Match bullets. I don't know what action your using, but a rem 700 would be ideal. FWIW if you are thinking of a long range .22, The .22-6mm or better yet the .22-6mm Imp are really excellent. With a fast twist barrel (1:7) and using the 80 gr Berger VLD's I was able to get 3800 fps and a 3 inch group at 500 yrds i( in a no wind situation). It's something to consider.-Rob

[ 08-11-2002, 20:43: Message edited by: Robgunbuilder ]

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Dennis Hepner---

P.O. Ackley was using bullets that would hold together at Swift velocities at that time too. They were Fred Barnes 60 grainers and the Sisk made from 22 LR brass. They held together.....sometimes.

Fred told some tales (while drunk on my whiskey) that sounded worse than "African Gametrails" about donkeys shot 6 and 8 times with Swifts by Ackley with miserable results. They were good friends but Barnes said Ackley had no problem with shooting and wounding game and just shrugging it off as an experiment. He claimed Ackley shot and lost 3 elk on Grand Mesa on one trip!!

The 22CFs are varmint cartridges, not big game hunting rifles. Just my opinion, of course.

<Lightnin>
posted
JBelk,
I've heard that same story about the donkeys taking 6 or 8 shots to kill only it was the guys that were shooting 30/40 Krags and 270s that were doing it and P.O. was dropping them as if struck by lightning with the 220.

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
Dennis Hepner---

P.O. Ackley was using bullets that would hold together at Swift velocities at that time too. They were Fred Barnes 60 grainers and the Sisk made from 22 LR brass. They held together.....sometimes.

Fred told some tales (while drunk on my whiskey) that sounded worse than "African Gametrails" about donkeys shot 6 and 8 times with Swifts by Ackley with miserable results. They were good friends but Barnes said Ackley had no problem with shooting and wounding game and just shrugging it off as an experiment. He claimed Ackley shot and lost 3 elk on Grand Mesa on one trip!!

The 22CFs are varmint cartridges, not big game hunting rifles. Just my opinion, of course.

jbelk,
i don't know about PARKER ACKLEY using barnes bullets, or sisk, but in his books, he mentions using hand made bullets,made of solid copper/with 15gr. of lead inserted into the nose.(.220 SWIFT) and killing elk with them.
also i don't doubt he had his share of failures along the way, but lots of success as well.
i feel PARKER ACKLEY was about 50 years ahead of his time. he developed a line of cartridges that were called IMPROVED, and that they were.
with few exceptions, his version was at the head of the class and still is.
my first experience with an ACKLEY, was a .257 ACKLEY, and what an impressive experience it has been.
i place PARKER ACKLEY just short of sainthood.
i don't want to start a pissing contest here, but,read his handbooks and i think you'll have a better understanding of the man.
what kind of whisky was that?
sincerely,
dennis hepner

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
By all means order a reamer with a.252 neck. My 22-250 ackley has only been used on varmints as I prefer shooting big game with big bullets! Mine was built on a VZ24 mauser and a Shilen prethreaded heavy tapered barrel. My buddy and I built two identical guns. Since they were built on Mausers, I consider a .5 inch group excellent. Mine seems to like H414 and Sierra 52 gr Match bullets. I don't know what action your using, but a rem 700 would be ideal. FWIW if you are thinking of a long range .22, The .22-6mm or better yet the .22-6mm Imp are really excellent. With a fast twist barrel (1:7) and using the 80 gr Berger VLD's I was able to get 3800 fps and a 3 inch group at 500 yrds i( in a no wind situation). It's something to consider.-Rob

rob,
thanks again for the reply. this rifle is going to be primarily a varmint gun, with a deer or two in it's future,and maybe an elk.
the barrel has a 14" twist,so heavy bullets are pretty much out of the question.
i plan on using bullets from 50-55gr., with a 35 or 40 just for grins.
the 55gr. SIERRA SPITZER will be it's main diet, with some55gr. bear claws on occasion.
sincerely,
dennis hepner

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Dennis,
Are you sure you don't want to reconsider your 1-14 twist?
I shoot a 22-250 Ack. Imp. but my barrel has a 1-8 twist. It shoots the heavier bullets superbly as Rob already mentioned. If you take a look at the high BC bullets from Sierra and Berger you will see that they have BC's nearly identical to the popular 30 cal. bullets. In fact with 80 grain Berger VLD's (BC .495) at 3100 fps, I get exactly the same bullet drop and wind drift as a 300 Win. Magnum shooting 175 grain Matchkings.
If you desire to shoot lighter bullets, the 69 grain Matchkings shoot superbly but give up quite a bit to the wind beyond 400 yards.
I shoot mine at 600 yard matches every month and 1000 yards a couple of times a year.

What rifle are you considering using for this project?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I won't say a 22 centerfire won't kill an elk, because it will (a world record grizzly bear was killed with a 22 rimfire up here back in the sixties), but I think it's a very poor choice, especially with the lighter bullets. JMHO - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Gordon:
Dennis,
I shoot a 22-250 Ack. Imp. but my barrel has a 1-8 twist. It shoots the heavier bullets superbly as Rob already mentioned. If you take a look at the high BC bullets from Sierra and Berger you will see that they have BC's nearly identical to the popular 30 cal. bullets. In fact with 80 grain Berger VLD's (BC .495) at 3100 fps, I get exactly the same bullet drop and wind drift as a 300 Win. Magnum shooting 175 grain Matchkings.
If you desire to shoot lighter bullets, the 69 grain Matchkings shoot superbly but give up quite a bit to the wind beyond 400 yards.
I shoot mine at 600 yard matches every month and 1000 yards a couple of times a year.

bruce,
i appreciate your information on the 22/250 ACKLEY, but i intend for this rifle to be, primarily a varmint gun. i have a .244 and a 6m/m here if i want to shoot heavier bullets. i bought a barrel with a 14" twist ,so heavier bullets ain't the plan.
thanks,
dennis

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
Dennis Hepner---

jbelk,
just an after thought, if someone like PARKER ACKLEY didn't experiment with various combinations, where would we be today? certainly, bullets in 1935 weren't what they are today. PARKER ACKLEY was an innovator and i for one am glad he was.
if you don't fail once in a while, you ain't trying hard enough.
i've failed on occation, and most other people have as well.
if MR.ACKLEY had the bullets,and powders,we have today, who knows what he might have developed?
sincerely,
dennis

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
Well, I won't say a 22 centerfire won't kill an elk, because it will (a world record grizzly bear was killed with a 22 rimfire up here back in the sixties), but I think it's a very poor choice, especially with the lighter bullets. JMHO - Dan

dan,
poor choice it was. probably caught with his pants down, so to speak. he was probably out hunting something else and come across the bear.
no one in their right mind would would set out to kill a grizzly with a .22 rimfire.
in one of the early SPEER manuals, they told of a couple of eskimos, out hunting for seals, armed with .22 hornets and all the sudden they had two polar bears in their faces,and the eskimos won. cool head, proper bullet placement and a little luck thrown in.
thanks,
dennis
i'm not trying to convert everyones thinking, but in my opinion it doesn't take a half a can of powder and a 300+ gr bullet to kill a deer or elk sized animal.
i feel the magnum mania was more or less caused by lack of ability on the part of most shooters. i was going to say hunters, but thought better of it. and now we have another wave of short magnums. DUH.

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:

rob,
i ordered a reamer today, .252 neck. the pot lickers are charging me $40.00 to take .006 off the standard reamer. oh well. thanks for your input on this project, wish we didn't live so far apart.
dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis, you are correct. A native woman, actually, breaking land with a small tractor. She kept a 22 with her for small game. Got off the tractor (the article doesn't say why, a call of nature I would expect)and bumped into the grizzly bear. A shot through the eye from a very, very short distance. More luck then anything (both good and bad)I would say. - Dan

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Gordon:
Dennis,

bruce,
the rifle is a 700 LSS MOUNTAIN RIFLE, presently in 30/06, and is going to have a SHILEN,match grade 22, 14" twist. the action is going to be "blueprinted".
dennis

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DanD:

dan,
i totally agree about the ingredients for beer.
dennis

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]dan,
i totally agree about the ingredients for beer.
dennis[/QB][/QUOTE]

The brewing of beer is a process by which common water can be rendered "fit to drink" [Big Grin]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey WJ, I just finished reading about a study where they show that a couple of beers per day helps to protect you against all manner of horrible heart related diseases. I better just get on that, I'm a bunch of beers behind already. Take care - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
If that's the case dan, then I have the heart of a triple crown winning race horse.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote