Find
Notify
Tools

Hypothetical Business Question for Gunsmiths
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm curious how gunsmiths (and customers) would handle a situation like this:

The customer sends you a $1000 blank to build a stock. During the course of inletting, you make an error that you cannot correct without the correction being a visible flaw. Did you just buy a $1000 blank or do you try to work it out with the customer?

This is not a real situation, I'm just curious how folks would react. Is there malpractice insurance for gunsmiths?

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
SamB--

It's a good question.

If it can't be fixed and the mistake is worse than the maker will accept. The maker contacts the customer with pictures of replacement blanks and makes it clear that the mistake was his fault and not the fault of the wood. (Knots, rots, and inclusions).

The mistake can sometimes be salvaged with oversize bottom metal, barrel, or receiver.

You might be surprised at some perfectly good tangs I've TIG welded wider or longer for some very good stockmakers. (Ever notice how a blind hole Mauser looks bigger?

Very good gunmakers have a genius for giving themselves second chances at perfection.

"Whatever you do must *look* like it was done on purpose."
Leonard Brownell

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Jack,

A hearty AMEN from over here....

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SamB,
You would be surprised at what can be fixed on a stock. I once read that Holland & Holland once sent out a stock that had over 30 visible flaws (from the blank and not the operation) that had been repaired and no one could find them.

But given a hypothetical, say I dropped the stock and broke it. I would be buying a new blank that satisfied the customer.

Here is one for you. If you send me a blank that you purchased for me to stock for a rifle and I find a serious flaw in it say in the grip after a great deal of work. Now I have the rifle all the way inletted and shaped and in the final shaping I run across a bark hole right in the grip. The stock is toast. Do you owe me for the effort and time I have put into it or is it just the nature of the game. I will let you answer before I tell you what usually happens.

Chic

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 05-08-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Chic, to answer your question, if I supply the material then the responsibility for the quality of that material falls on my shoulders.

Funny you should pick that example, as I have a very nice walnut blank in my workshop that is great except for a void in the grip. Fortunately it because obvious during the first shaping cuts. Unfortunately this nice blank is now relegated to grip caps and forend tips.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Ross Spagrud>
posted
Interesting thread.........

All rifle builders, gunsmiths, etc. will make
mistakes. This is a fact and any one of the
above that tells you they don't is a liar.

If I was choosing a riflesmith for a job I would not consider whether or not it was
possible that they could make a mistake but
my gut feeling on how they would respond if
they did.

I recently built a rifle for a good customer
where I installed the wrong contour barrel
due to a paperwork error made by myself at
the time of order. He promptly (and rightly)
returned the rifle for correction. The downside was that I became "stuck" with a $250 barrel that I will likely never be able
to use but the upside was that I made the
customer happy and he will return to my
business and continue to spread the good word.

FWIW
Ross
www.prairiegunworks.com

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Chic
I'm quessing you usually end up eating the labor. What if the customer leaves the wood selection up to the stock maker amd the wood has the said flaw? How often does a stock end up in this situation?

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,
It depends on the stockmaker. If I supply the wood,there is no doubt. If he buys it somewhere else it is his and often I would discount the cost to that point. It doesn't happen often but it does. I have a good friend who does duplicating on customers wood and when he runs into a flaw he stops, sends it back with a partial bill. That is only fair. The problem is at times is you never know where these will show up. If I can fix them and make them undetectable I will do it and not add to the cost of the project. I will alert them to the problem and let them decide if they want to proceed.

SamB,
Don't rule out that stock, it might still work for a two piece. I had a good stockmaker friend who passed away recently and he had a blank that he had priced at $3600 and when he got into the wrist in it he found a bark pocket. It was his nickle so he just stored it and cut if for a future rifle. I ended up with it and am going to put it on a 63 winchester .22 Auto. I have another blank that does not have a lot of wood left in it and it is going to be a very fancy .22 Stevens favorite "boys rifle".

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Hey, no problem! We take care of problems like this every day and have meeny happy customers to show for it! Come to us for all your custom stock werk!

Sincerely,

Dewy, Cheetum, & Howe
Custom Gunsmiths

P.S. For sale: Custom canoe paddles - $2000 pair special! Many in stock.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
"If you can't fix it, feature it."

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<crazyhillbilly>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
SamB,
You would be surprised at what can be fixed on a stock. I once read that Holland & Holland once sent out a stock that had over 30 visible flaws (from the blank and not the operation) that had been repaired and no one could find them.

But given a hypothetical, say I dropped the stock and broke it. I would be buying a new blank that satisfied the customer.

Here is one for you. If you send me a blank that you purchased for me to stock for a rifle and I find a serious flaw in it say in the grip after a great deal of work. Now I have the rifle all the way inletted and shaped and in the final shaping I run across a bark hole right in the grip. The stock is toast. Do you owe me for the effort and time I have put into it or is it just the nature of the game. I will let you answer before I tell you what usually happens.

Chic

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 05-08-2002).]

i have found it to be good pratice to have high dollar stock blanks x-rayed ,in my area i can get it done fairly ez ,gas co.boiler co.even a frriend at a hospital,i think it makes sence if one can get it.