THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

J Belk - Advice on a Baker Shotgun repair?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Jack , Please...

I've got an older Baker "Sterling Grade" single barrel trap gun in the shop that needs a new buttstock, and some skillful welding to repair the trigger assembly. Don't know how they broke the trigger at the sear, without breaking the trigger guard, but they managed it. I assume it happened when the buttstock was broken, and that must have been shattered as apparently no attempt was made to reassemble it with glue or glass. Perhaps it was shot in some ill-advised hunting episode?

Anyway, that sort of work really isn't my bag anymore, and I'd like to send it to someone who specializes in that sort of work. Any ideas? (There is a rough inletted presentation grade piece of walnut buttstock wood with it...)

Thanks for any suggestions you might share...

AC

[ 06-27-2003, 06:21: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
AC--

It's usually easier in the long run to just make another trigger unless you find a trigger from a later Ithaca or Batavia might fit.

Send me a picture of what you have and maybe I'll have some better ideas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comment. Will try to send you one privately to your e-mail within the next day or so. Haven't a clue how to post one on this website.

Do you know of anyone who specializes in shotgun stock making in the Pacific NW? I've always been rifle oriented, so know a little less than nothing about shotguns (what bit I think I know about scatterguns is wrong!). I do know a few pistol 'smiths, but not a soul in the shotgun area...

Thanks again,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
AC--

For shotgun stocking you might try Bill Soverns in Spokane.

He's a budding young stockmaker with too little experience to turn down the PITA jobs so you might be able to talk him into something. [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just the kind of info I was hoping to find. Thanks again. I owe you one...

AC