New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: M-30 Remington .30/06 into what?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I am thinking 338-06, 35 Whelen, 375 Taylor, 280AI, 7x55mmAI, or maybe just a plain old 300wm.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
JudgeG

505 Gibbs and I think MPI has a one for the 1917 Enfield that is a more classic design. Great deal by the way. Another option if the Fajen wood is worth it would be to have it reshaped.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Model 30 Remington in .30/06 for the whopping price of $231. It has a Fajen stock that's pretty ugly. Monte Carlo, spacers, etc. A wood rasp and a Pachmayr pad can help. Any suggestions for a project and what to do to pretty it up. Is this a candidate for a .500 Jeffery or the like? Anybody make a drop-in stock synthetic stock if I decide to put some kind of coating for an AWR? I believe Bell & Carlson does, but it has a high comb.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 720("cadilac model 30") needing a custom stock,someone put a super,mega,toothpic,270 barrel on it,project, maybe an 06 or 336-06 in the future. And a old custom model 30 remington 30-06 with a nice figured stock that needs a barrel. One of them will be a 30-06 .

The bolt faces are clean on both so I hesitate to open up the bolt faces on either of them. A big thumper would be nice though.

Hell , I just bought a dodge cummins diesel 4x4 truck so Ive been blowin all my gun money on hotroding that thing.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would make a super nice 505 Gibbs IMO....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have a work-in-progress M-30 for a friend in 458 Lott. We rebarreled, retained the old Lyman 48, added a NECG ramp front sight, welded up the hole in the bolt knob, barrel band sling stud, barrel mounted recoil lug, machined off the clip ears, Timney trigger, rust blue, added weight to the original buttstock, ebony tip and a Decelerator pad. Fairly straightforward project that should be a real nice piece. Not quite done yet.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bell and Carlson doesn't make stocks, they make inletted clubs.

I guess the question is what holes need filling in your safe? Having personally built a 500 Jeffrey on a P-14, I'd actually suggest going with a 505 Gibbs. With the Gibbs supposedly becoming a factory offering from CZ in the future, the brass situation would lean towards the 505. I also think the std rim and the longer neck make the Gibbs a better case design.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy with a nice 375 built on a model 30, a very underated or at least uncommon action for a custom. It came out very nice and that big positive safety seems to shout DGR! Or how about a 318 Westley Richards?

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Paul H and Ray:

I think you have convinced me. In any event, I've always liked the not-so-veiled "equipment" references comparing a .30/06 to a .505 Gibbs in The Short Happy Life of F.M. by Hemingway. Any P.H. (or hunter) who carries a .505 must have it where it counts, at least according to the other Ernest, and with a name like that, he must be right.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote