New
Find
Notify
Tools

M77 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Early tang safety in 7x57; were the chambers in these rifles cut long as some 7x57's are? I notice the rifle likes heavy bullets.

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tin can
I do not know how early mine is but it is a mediocre shooter with any boatail and any bullet lighter than 160 grains. I have owned the rifle about 25 years so I think it might have been made in the 1980s.

The 170 RN Federal Classic load is amazing in my rifle. It groups close to 3/4".

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, all the 77 tang safeties I have owned, in 257 Roberts, 06, and 7x57mm, have super long throats. In my 257 I seat the bullets out so far that only 1/8th inch is holding them in, and I basically use 25-06 load data. Very fast. I had a 7mm with an equally long throat but I didn't experiment with it; then sold it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Since the 7x57 was originally set up for a heavy bullet I'd bet you would often find a longer throat.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes; that is why I had my 7x57 reamer ground for a 139 grain bullet; I did not want the long throat as shooting a 175 grain bullet in a small capacity case is not the way to go. for me. Military throats are longer still for the long, 175 grainer, not tapered very much, bullet.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...roger that. I bought mine in the early '60's...never got it to shoot worth a hoot even after rechambering it to 7x57AI except with 170 plus gr LONG bullets.

The velo was better and not bad compared to other cases of the same capacity. Accuracy was so-so with the 175 Horn seated out as far as possible to work through the mag...basically just barely stuffed into the case, but it killed anything I pointed it at quickly. Those long bullets had very nice BC's and the drop wasn't all that bad either within 250 yds.

I had magnumitise in those days so 2600 fs wasn't nut'n'.

I wish I had that barrel back...the receiver is now a 50 cal Rigby wildcat...still have the dies tho'. ;0 LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks a million, very helpful tu2

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote