THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Smith&Wesson 4513- stripping bullets from magazine

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith&Wesson 4513- stripping bullets from magazine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On my Tactical Smith&Wesson 4513TSW, when I chamber a round, then remove the magazine, it always strips the top round out of the magazine. What is causing this?

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I fail to understand the question or the operation being performed. Please clarify.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I think SST is saying is that...

That he inserts a new fresh magazine and racks the slide sloadin the chamber.

If he then ejects the magazine the top round in the magazine easy nearly stripped from the top of the magazine, or is completely stripped and falls out of the magazine well.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Still can't follow what is happening. I don't own any S&W Autos but non of my automatic's have enough room between the clip and slide to have this possibly happen if the slide was fully inserted.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I think SST is saying is that...

That he inserts a new fresh magazine and racks the slide sloadin the chamber.

If he then ejects the magazine the top round in the magazine easy nearly stripped from the top of the magazine, or is completely stripped and falls out of the magazine well.

I think you should pull the car to the side of the road before texting or typing anything. Big Grin Try it again please.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 3913 does the same thing the round beanth the top one is almost striped out of the mag after champering the top round.

Hasn't hurt any thing yet done it form the day it was new. Just to make me feel better I always pull the mag and resit that round for carry. Seems to shoot just fine it I don't as in rapid reloads.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I insert a fresh magazine and rack one into the chamber, and then remove the magazine, the next next round in the magazine has been stripped loose. It is usually standing straight up, but still stuck in the magazine. It hasn't caused a problem yet, but I want to know if there's a way to fix it.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SST:
Yes, if I put a fresh magazine in and I rack one into the chamber, I then eject the clip and the next one has been stripped loose from the clip. It hasnt caused a problem yet, but I want to know if there's a way to fix it.

That sounds like the magazines feed lips are too short in length and possibly too tall, allowing the bullet to sit too high in the magazine and release on the forward stroke too early.

In other words, if the bullet sits too high, then the slide can drag it forward, and if the lips are to short, then it will prematurely release which would result in a loose round waiting to fall when you drop a loaded magazine.

I would start by lowering the feed lips so the top round assumes a lower posture and go from there.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a common problem of most single stack magazines, S&W included. The early 45xx mags with the orange or yellow follower were notorious for it. The current ones with the black followers do not do it as much.

It is caused by the angle of the bullet as it rests in the mag, and the amount of friction between the 1st and 2nd cartridges from the top. The good news is that your gun will feed anything you put in it, including empty cases. It is a trade off. When doing a mag-save reload, you may loose one round.

I've been carrying and qualifying with a 4553, 4556, 4586 and 4546 since they came out in 1991.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Boggles my mind completely and I've been shooting automatics since 1950. For the top round to drag the second round far enough forward to release the second round from the magazine lips you would have to have half the length of the round open in front of the magazine well. None of my automatics have this space. Those Smiths must be really weird guns

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Westpac,

Y u makin fun of me...everybody else understood...where is the luv the brotha

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Westpac,

Y u makin fun of me...everybody else understood...where is the luv the brotha

Big Grin