Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Fajen Euro's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Nice Job. I like the treatment you gave the bottom just forward of the grip. Yeah, I like this style stock too. Here's the one I did in .308 win.

Considering it was the first complete rifle I built I was pleased with the outcome. Did it 100% all myself. Took a couple of nice pigs with it in July. I have a few more and want one for my have reserved one for my 9.3x62 and would like to use one on my .30-06 but I'm pretty sur ethe barrel channel is too large for the noodle barrel I have in mind. I may have to sacrifice one of the stocks for use as a pattern. I want that '06 to be my all arounder and it must have a nice stock.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Damn nice job my friend. Good lines, sharp corners, finish looks great too! Hope you bag a nice one with it!

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those stocks look like they have farely desent wood.
Where do you get those Fajen Euro stocks?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the looks of that. I have a stock in the closet that a gunsmith guy I knew sold me with the 09 argentine he was going to use it for. it has the side panels like that, but not as pronounced (roughly shaped). I can't seem to track that one down, Fajen doesn't show it on their site, anybody know where they can be picked up now?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,

But give it time I might end up ruining it when I attempt to checker it

I still have light years to go on checkering and it doesnt help when chic hasnt sent me my video back yet (like he needed it anyways). But me, I'm a man in need of instructional material especially when it comes to checkering.

-Mike

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
The guys at Douglas decided the barrel channel was closest to a Remington contour and used a modified version of that for my rifle.

These were nice stocks for the price and well proportioned to a Mauser action, I used a WW2 trophy M-98 my Uncle gave me years ago. I'm just too impatient to be trusted with wood and sharp implements so fitting took me a while. It'll eventually go in there, just takes a bit of carving.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
now i know how bought the last of those stock from midway, I was a little late

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'd like to figure out how to remove the wierd angle formed by the cheek piece and flute on the nose. I recut the check piece on a Richard's that I bought strictly for practicing on and liked the way that came out. I cut more of a pancake than what was on it. This Fajen seems a little more complicated.

The problem is when you try to modify the comb nose on a semi inlet stock like this. You end up losing the relationship between the comb nose the and the center of the grip. If you had tons of wood to work with and could move the grip back then that wouldn't be a problem. On most good looking stocks you will notice that you can draw a straight line between the center of the grip and the comb nose of the stock. With this Euro stock that really is a tough option. Not saying that it couldn't be done. But if you were to exercise that option you would need to a smaller grip cap. But even the smallest grip cap wouldnt probably have much of an effect and not worthy of the effort IMHO.

-Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Craig,
believe it or not, the side panels serve a VERY important role. That stock design is SO slight that even for non-magnum calibers, the wood around the mag is VERY thin. Those panels act as stiffners, to keep the mag box from flexing like a screwjack.

I believe, someone in Saeed's pictures in the rest of the AR home page (not the forums) there's a picture of Ray Vincent, with his 585, that the story reads he essentially took two steel plates, slapped them on either side, and stuck a big bolt through, as the 585 had cracked that heavy stock, and that was the only thing that they could think of to prevent the stock from "going"

So, if you want to perform a panelectomy, make darn certain it's a light caliber.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifles guys.
Those stocks came as a special at Midway this spring or early summer. Under $40.00 for the stock, butt plate and grip cap.

Unfortunately, my wood working skills didn't let as nice a stock out of the blank as those two turned out. But it's ready in time for deer season!

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by z1r....
I'd like to figure out how to remove the wierd angle formed by the cheek piece and flute on the nose. I recut the check piece on a Richard's that I bought strictly for practicing on and liked the way that came out. I cut more of a pancake than what was on it. This Fajen seems a little more complicated.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I modified one to make this pattern. I also reshaped the "action panels" a bit.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I just wish that it was offered with a 1/2" starter barrel channel to allow more flexability in the choice of barrel contours.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Mine did require a lot of material removal but like Alvinmack said, that's a good thing. Had it not been for my ineptness I should have gotten a real nice wood to metal fit. In fact, I did, at least on top. I screwed up at the rear of the triggerguard though. The inletting on these was IMO ten times better than say a Richard's Microfit.

The barrel contour is a challenge. These are made for Miwday's proprietary contours. A Shilen #2 is a very close match. My Shilen #1 is fine right up until the last inch or two in the fore end. A Douglas #4 barrel has more of a gap just ahead of the chamber area.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yes, That's it exactly. I did that to a Richards stock and was pleased. Somehow, I could not figure out YET how to do the same on this stock. Do you by chance have any close ups or views from the top? You know what they say about a picture; They work better for those of us that can't read.

I remember your pattern stock well. I like it a lot! Those are the two areas I'd change on my next one. My panels are not centered, IMO. They are too low. Nice job! This is the pattern thgat you made into a mannlicher, right? That is what I'll be doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe. I hadn't even thought about the strengthening aspect of the panels. I do recall seeing pics of the steel reinforced 585 somewhere. Probably gonna go 257 Ackley on this one so it should < !--color--> be okay, ya think? Yeah, I know, only one way to find out. Thanks.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I bought some several years ago. Then, earlier this year they were alledgedly discontinued. I bought one blem to be used as a pattern.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks!

I used the spar varnish, mineral spirits, Watco teak Oil finish formula. It was a bear since I never completely removed the first coat that I let dry for 30 days. In the end, all my wet sanding for for not. I finally got it more or less right. It looks better now but of course I feel I could have done better.

It's a vz24 action that I did all the action work on and bluing too. I ground the front ring and removed the charger hump. I'll be attempting scope bases soon.

I scoped this rifle with a weaver 1-3. I just leave it set to 3x. It did real well in th elow light conditions that I shot those two pigs in. This rifle was put together with the idea in mind that it be a loaner or back up. Well, I like it so much that is it primary until I get the .30-06 together. I have an FN style left side safety on this. I ordered up a PME model 70 style for the .30-06 but like the two position a lot.

-Mike

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
z1r,

What oil finish did you end up on that stock? Very good for your first attempt. My first stock was so bad that I ended up hacking off the stock at the grip area and now I use it to do leather covered pads.

What kind of scope do you have on your 308 winnie? The one thing that would complete that rifle of yours is a PME 2 position side safety like the ones that Jim Kobe machines up, but of course that is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I just love those M70 side swing type safeties. What type of M98 action is that and who did the metalwork? I love the finishing touches that a nice pair of Talley scope bases and rings put on a rifle.

-Mike

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Did you guys have to remove a lot of wood to get the action to drop in?

There wasn't that much to remove for the barreled action. In fact the barrel channel was grossly oversized. So if you have a paper thin barrel it's going to look sloppy, unless you have walnut that is a close match to the stock. Then you can cut fine pieces of wood chips and use those to fill the gaps in the barrel channel. The biggest job on these stocks is inletting the triggerguard. But that is a good thing in my opinion.

-Mike