Find
Notify
Tools

Re: what action for project???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Sounds like Ed may have called it right the 1st time too. In a modern action, the same loads very well might have made the gun look like that Sako Finnlite pictured on another thread. You can tear up anything by overloading it.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I think the setback issue is more common than folks like to admit. In the last month I've come accross three Mausers with setback, all still in the original chamberings.

That's why all mine get sent out for heat treatment (carburisation). It's a very very small investment.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree with your rational.

A number of years ago, Ed Matunas wrote an article about acceptable pressures with handloaded ammunition. He described a .270 Winchester built on a Mauser action that developed excessive headspace (lug setback), and Ed blamed the condition on handloads that were too hot. Those handloads might have been too hot alright, but in reality he mis-diagnosed the fundamental problem, which was likely an action that was simply too soft. You don't hear of that particular brand of problem with modern actions.

AD