Re: Nosler Custom Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's vomit material to look at

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's still a Howa action with the bases cast into the reciever. Excuse me, I gotta go puke!
I have seen some nice custom rifles on guns america by gary goudy and other fine gunmakers for half that price or pretty close.
Lucio

Posts: 57 | Location: san antonio texas | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LMAOROTF

Well,
I guess John Barsness earned his Jack Slack writing award in this issue of Rifle .

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I hate to be too critical, but I don't really care for the stockwork on that rifle at all. It is NOT best-quality work. For one thing, the wood is far from being anything close to "fancy grade", and as I mentioned before, top American stockmakers simply don't run the cocking piece raceway on out through the stock.

Most peculiar of all is the pistol grip cap. On any properly done custom stock, the grip cap lines run parallel to the bottom edge of the pistol grip itself. The surface where the pistol grip cap meets the pistol grip must be properly fitted, of course, but the outside surface angles of the pistol grip cap must be even and run parallel to the bottom angle of the stock's pistol grip.

Not with this Nosler stock. The outer portion of the pistol grip cap starts out narrow at the back and gets thicker as it moves toward the inside of the pistol grip. Not properly done at all, and rather weird in its configuration.

I agree with the point that this is in truth a production rifle, and NOT a "custom" rifle. Like the modern terms "tactical", and "benchrest-accuracy", the terms "classic" and "custom" are often misused and abused these days, and this is one of those occasions........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say it is a bit of a custom - custom made for Nosler - not for us

4k - bout 3500 too rich for my blood. While I would argue you can get anicer rifle for 4k from a custom maker - resale is gonna be a bit differnt I would think - unless we are talking a major smith building that other rifle but I am guessing you ain't getting it with a scope and case for 4k. I dunno - never owned one.