Find
Notify
Tools

how do you?--double shotgun sling mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted
I have a 12ga. SxS here that I hopefully will be putting a sling on soon, but here is the tricky part: I don't want the front sling mount on the forearm, but I want it on the under-rib of the barrels, about 3"-4" forward of the forearm. Now, I've seen some Husky doubles that just used screws with the rib tapped. But, they were old huskys, and they seemed to be loose, or had worked loose over time.
I do not want to solder, as I don't want to heat anything. So, how would some of the more experienced here go about this. I've even considered using loc-tite somehow, but I do want a permanent mount which will not budge or break loose or strip out.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
--walksfar--

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
p.s.-seems like the bottom rib is too thin to tap and have it hold anything anyway-just like the husky's. Might only get one turn in them.
How strong is the red loc-tite anyway? Would it work as well as solder? Again, I'm not wanting to heat anything.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
This is just a guess here and I am in no way an expert on anything.

If the bottom rib is too thin to tap, what about drilling a small hole(smaller than what you want for tapping) and squirting in some 2 part metal epoxy or JB Weld into the hole. Then when it sets up, you can drill and tap into the bottom rib and the metal filler inside?

You might have to degrease the area inside the bottom rib so the epoxy will stick well??
Just a thought.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since I cannot find a good link or a good photo, what I am about to say may not be of much help. In Europe one sees S X S slings which require no sling swivels at all. The forward attachement is two sem-circular leather bound tubes which slip over the barrels and the rear is just a loop of leather which goes around the butt stock. They are usually very high quality leather and are used by people with bespoke shotguns who don't want to add sling swivels. They are fine for long walks to hunting areas and are usually removed when you actually start hunting. If any of the Euro members has a picture to post or a link to a site with a photo it might in understanding what it looks like.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote