Find
Notify
Tools

advice on straightening a shotgun barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Am looking at an otherwise nice Remington Model 11 Sportsman in 20 gauge. But, the barrel has a bend to the side that becomes apparent when sighting down the aftermarket vented rib. No dent or indication of an impact that caused it and I'd guess that it's about an 1/8th inch; The center rib bead and the front bead form a sideways 'Figure 8'. Gun came out of an estate and in storage in an old soft leather case so I'm guessing something heavy was crammed against it and bent the barrel.

Talked with a couple area 'smiths that want to see it before they even mention a possible price. But for me to take it to them I have to buy it and I'm not wild about doing that before I gather some information.

I'm not trying to get a qoute but rather a reasonable range as costs go for such things. Any ideas? Experiences? Does the vent rib add to the equation as it might end up crooked?

And can anybody recommend a 'smith that does a lot of such barrel straightening?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of nice M11s out there. Just find a different one.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have straightened lots of barrels. Some I just put in a barrel press and bend them straight. I have had to fill a few with sand to keep them from kinking.

Relive your memories take a kid hunting and fishing

Posts: 152 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 28 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Garth Baker:
I have straightened lots of barrels. Some I just put in a barrel press and bend them straight. I have had to fill a few with sand to keep them from kinking.

I'd think almost any real shotgun 'smith could do that for you at minimal cost. Straightening barrels and removing dents are their stock in trade.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote