New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Action question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know of a friend having problems getting .308 based cartridges to feed in his Montana action. Anyone tweaked these, and have any tips? I've been considering getting one, for another .358 Winchester project, and don't want to have too many quirks to deal with. Any imput?

Also, does anyone know if the profile of this action is the same as the Winchester M 70? I would want to put an aperture sight on this, and if there is none available commercialy to fit this action, it will be out of the running for the project.

Thanks for the imput.

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I fixed feeding issues on my Montana by adjusting the magazine box sides at the top where they feed into the action. Just bent them a little this way and that untill it fed my 25-284 cartridges nicely.

As for the sight mounts, so far all mounts for post-64 Win 70 Classic seem to fit.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first got my MRC 1999 in .308 Win. I had problems with loading/feeding. The magazine spring is very weak comparred to a Mauser and it's easy to tip the cartridge forward during loading. Then of course it wont feed correctly. Now, if I load it carfully, it feeds fine. But, I wonder if a stiffer magazine spring would make loading less tedious?
Don't know about aperture sights for the MRC 1999 but take a look at Burris scope bases before you buy the ugly, ill fitting Leupold Mod.70 bases.
Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the imput, guys. No need to worry about the scope bases, I hunt deep timber in the mountains, and apertures are the only way to go for chasing elk in this neighborhood!

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote