New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron sight installation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 2 Steyr M Professionals one in .30-06 that has iron sights and one in 9.3x62mm without sights. I am looking for a gunsmith to take the sights off the .30-06 and add them to the 9.3x62mm. The other option is to add an island express sight and a H&H style ramp front. The last option to which I have so far been unable to find, is to have OEM sights installed. It is probably not a big deal for practicality other than in my mind and I think a 9.3 deserves iron sights and it just looks better with them. Here are what the factory sights look like:
[img] https://i.postimg.cc/1zdPvfCs/...B2-A75-C68.jpg[/img]
[img] https://i.postimg.cc/k5GqNxyT/...-A0-F2-F91.jpg[/img]

Posts: 765 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those are just the ones that NECG sells and are probably th ones the factory uses too.
Piece of cake. Or pie.
And you are right, any caliber over 33 is required to have iron sights. Not for using, just for looks.
All my customers want them, and so far, only one actually uses them and not the scope.
Please don't tell me you (not you, I mean others) need them for backups in case your scope fails.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind Sir,
Let us not disparage traditional iron sights. Undoubtedly, they are more attractive than the lunar telescopes commonly overwhelming otherwise trim rifles these days. Traditional iron sights, a simple rear Vee and a front bead are perfectly useable, especially if you're of the bent that enjoys antique single shots. Just this year I managed to harvest two Georgia whitetails with iron-sighted British single shots, an Alexander Henry .360x2 1/4" Express and a Westley Richards M1897 .450x 3 1/4" Express. Both deer were at least 100 distant & neither were tied to a tree.

I also install a lot of iron sights just for "looks", but in the main they can be functional & foolproof.

Roger

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True, but you are a special kind of human being.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote