New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fattening up a Glock grip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Someone at work tells me his hands are too big for his Glock (didn't ask which model), and he wants fatter grips. He tried a slip-on cuff, and oil got under it, so now it slips around. He's looking for a better solution. If he ended up with something with a rougher, more grippable surface, so much the better.

Anyone know how to fatten Glock grips?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fatten ? I helped a shooter who has a hand the size of mine ( size 9) except that his fingers are a full 1/2" longer than mine .I explained that he needed to add material to the backstrap of his K frame S&W .He ended up making nice grips that covered the backstrap with 1/2" of wood.Worked fine. If your friend has the same problem he will have to add to the backstrap rather than fatten. Off hand I'm not sure how you would do that to the Glock, perhaps build up a layer of reinforced epoxy ( beding compound) and carve that to fit.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I used the Hogue handall grip, and couldn't imagine it ever slipping loose. I had to heat it up with a hair dryer to get it on, but once it was there, she was there for the long haul. Mine was exposed to all kinds of gun oils and solvents with no problem. That's the best solution I know of for fattening the grip, but then again, it's not like the Glock really needs any fattening for most folks. This friend of yours must have some serious paws.
Maybe he should look into the Desert Eagle

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a new one on me. Most people find the Glock too large.

I agree with a previous poster, the Hogue is a good product, and I can't imagine it slipping either.

If his previous solution wasn't satisfactory because of oil seeping under it then I'd have to suggest that his MX routine is not right.

I've carried a Glock 23 daily since 1998. I've used it in numerous classes and matches from the IDPA Nat'ls to the GAS to multiple Randy Cain classes. I mention this only to demonstrate that I live with and shoot a Glock extensively.

You might point your friend to TW25B grease as a lubricant. Glocks, actually 1911s too, run much better with a bit of good synthetic grease than with any oil. Much less messy as your friend seems to have discovered. The weapon will run better too.

Posts: 71 | Location: Bellingham WA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote