New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmithing Question, Please Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Remington 700 BDL in a 270 Win that I don't use very much. I have read on so many forums about guys who bore out there barrel or action to make different calibers in a gun they already own. You may have already realized that I don't know very much about this, but I would like to know, is it possible for a gunsmith to convert an existing 270 Win into a caliber such as the new 270 WSM? I am assuming the barrel would be fine, but that the lans area or bolt would need adjustment.

Am I way off base or is this not only possible, but fairly easy?

I appreciate your input

-Autumn Pulse

Posts: 33 | Location: WA State | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Go to http://www.hartbarrels.com/ and send them an email they will know if it is possible and what the cost would be. It will probably be cheaper to buy a new rifle in the caliber that you want but if you have Hart do your work you will have a more accurate rifle than any standard production model. My two cents worth.

Swede44mag

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Autumn Pulse
If you don�t ask you will never know. Your rifle can easily be converted to 270wsm.
You also have a lot of good gunsmiths in WA.
You will need to have the barrel rechamberd, bolt face opened up, Sako extractor installed and a new mag box. The feed rails will need to be opened up also. The only negative I see is the long action. This is purely opinion though. I know a lot of people have built wsm�s on the 700 long action with great results. I will also suggest that if you are going to spend the money on all these modifications that you go ahead and buy a new barrel. For another couple hundred bucks it would be money well spent.

When looking for a good gunsmith make sure this is a conversion that he has done before. There are some tricks to this conversion that are only gained with experience. If you have trouble finding some one close try my friend David Christman. He has done several of these now and really has it down pat. If nothing else he might be able to recommend someone close to you as he use to live in Colville. (sp)
David Christman
216 Rundell Loop rd.
Delhi LA.
(318) 878-1395

Also as Swede44mag said it would definitely be cheaper to trade the old gun for a new 270wsm but not near as fun. Welcome to the world of custom guns, but be warned it is addictive. Not to worry we have a support group here at AR.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what makes you think you'll shoot the .270 WSM?

But sometimes the fun of these projects is just the research, or getting them done for the hell of it.

On a much more local basis, you might call Pac-Nor (barrel company) in Oregon, or Holland's Gunsmithing (also in Oregon). Either can fix you up, and do fine work. Google for them and you'll find phone numbers.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Before it's all over with I think you'd be money ahead to just trade guns for one you want.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote