Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convering a guide gun to 450 Alaskan
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone converted a Marlin 1895GS from .45/70 to .450 Alaskan? I was talking to a local smith about making a .50 Alaskan out of one when he suggested I try a .450 instead. That would eliminate the cost of a new barrel, instead only requiring a chamber reamer and some action mods. He'd never done it, but thought it should work. Is the magazine tube large enough in diameter, or would I need a new one? Any info/experiences would be appreciated. Jim......

Posts: 9 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
try wild west guns they specialize in them.jason
http://www.wildwestguns.com/

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a phone call to WWG a few years ago, they told me they don't do the 450 Alaskan, but that may have changed since, but I doubt it. They told me they'd prefer to re-chamber to their own wildcat, the 457 WWG Magnum. This way 45-70 ammo can be shot in their chamber, in the same manner as a 38 Special can be shot in a 357 Mag chamber. The 457 is supposed to replicate the 450 Alaskan power.
~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The marlin action requires some serious modifications to get a .450AK to work due to its length (2.79" OAL). The .50AK uses the same case (.348) but is a bit shorter (2.50" OAL).
The .457 WWG mag is between 200-300 fps short of a .450AK with 400 gr bullets.
I have a .450AK on a Browning 71.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wyoguide:
(sic)
...and some action mods. He'd never done it, but thought it should work.
(sic)

I'm sure if he had done the work, he would understand that there are more then "some action mods" required.

If you want more thump, there is a wildcat that blows the 45-70 out straight to use .475" bullets. It isn't nearly as involved as going with the 348 win case.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After doing some more research, I've come to the conclusion that I'm better off either staying w/ the .45/70 or going all the way to .50AK. I've had an opportunity to shoot a .50 made on a Browning 71. I liked it, although I would rather have it in SS, hence the use of the Marlin 1895GS as the donor. It's really a toss up, though, because the extra mods needed to make the Marlin work offset the cost of a Browning 71 if you can find one. In terms of practicality, I'm probably better off to go w/ a stock .45/70 and some good handloads or premium stuff like Buffalo Bore. Jim......

Posts: 9 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote