THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

restocking a sako TRGS what are my options??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
would like to restock my TRGS anyone know what my options are if any?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Poulsbo- I think Serengeti stockworks does this action other than that im not sure. My cousin checked on this for a couple of his TRG-S Rifles and he told me that they were the only one he found. But others may know some others that do. Good Luck!!!

Just got a couple of TRG-S myself for some projects.

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem is the bottom metal. The only one I know of that has gone to the trouble of producing bottom metal for the TRG is Rod Rogers from Serengeti - see Serengeti's TRG Page. He sold some of the bottom metal to McMillan, but I don't know if they still have any?? Otherwise, Rod may be your best bet.

You can get in touch with Rod via the Serengeti Contact Page

- mike

P.S. Rod also has experience (from battling with his own) in how to bed a TRG properly. I believe part of the problem was the recoil lug in the stock, as supposed to fixed to the action/barrel. Rod will advise, he is pretty deadly with his TRG.

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, McMillan lists the TRG as a rifle they can stock, using Serengetti's metalwork. - Dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We're adding a new option here. For the dangerous game TRG, we've created a floorplate design that will contain the factory magazine inside the magwell. We must modify the magazine slightly - removing the plastic bottom piece and installing a metal bottom plate - but gone are the magazine springs and latches. The floorplate is retained via a latch on the triggerguard similar to M70 and when released swings forward to completely release the mag box, which falls free of the action. Insert a second box, slap the floorplate closed, and ready to go - four more.

The latch is protected by the new bellied floorplate which is made of steel. Price of this upgrade will be announced soon, after we have captured our costs, but is expected to be modest.

Rod Rogers
Author & Angler
rod@mountainofdreams.com

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Rod. Is the modified metl on your website yet? - Dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not yet. The prototype was done in aluminum to speed development. It was pretty ugly with all the file marks and trial cuts. Once we have the steel units, we'll polish, finish and get some pictures with units installed.

On a .458 Lott
On a .416 Weatherby
On a .416 Lazz
On a .340 Weatherby

The upgrade utilizes the existing metal parts with some modifications for the new hinge and the new button release on the guard bow.

Rod Rogers
Author & Angler
rod@mountainofdreams.com

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote