Find
Notify
Tools

My 30/40 Krag Project
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
After seeing Pfeifer's reply to my post about my Krag project I decided I would update the project status.

I decided to keep the caliber 30/40 since it just seems right and is a fun caliber to play with. I found a new Badger barrel in .30 cal that was unchambered but contoured to a M70 Featherwieght contour. I almost felt bad for how cheap I bought the barrel. I sent it off along with the action and had it fitted. Then I ordered NECG rear island express sights and a NECG ramped front sight. The sights along with the barrel band will be fitted shortly.

I am sorry the pics are not better quality but I am not the photragher my wife is. But they show you how the barreled action looks with the sights sitting on it. It will soon have a classic pattern stock fitted to it.

I will keep you updated as it progresses.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1 Tanker thanks for the update and picts... beautiful and encouraging! So that nagging question of how to secure the barrel keeps reoccurring in my day dreams! My other Krag carbine has the old barrel band holding barrel and stock together in holy matrimony. My friend Paul has a sweet target version Norwegian Krag rebuilt (?) in 30-40 Krag with a clean barrel band securing the barrel to the stock with a screw underneath.

Wondering if anyone has tried to add a front threaded hole to secure the receiver in a more conventional M98 manner?

Also wondering if the top bolt lug on yours was fitted up tightly as a second load bearing point in your rebarrel?

JP

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote