Tools

Interesting Sales Approach - GM/Chevy Costco
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Go this in the mail

https://www.costcoauto.com/GM/notactive.aspx

http://www.autonews.com/articl...ium-chevy-silverados

Costco thru its auto program sells/intermediates 450K cars a year - second largest auto dealer in the country.

Going to price it out tomorrow.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried to use their program in the past, but was always able to negotiate a better deal on the lot. Then again, I live in a large city with lots of competition.

Will be interesting to see your results.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
I have tried to use their program in the past, but was always able to negotiate a better deal on the lot. Then again, I live in a large city with lots of competition.

I have used them a few times. Saves some mind numbing car salesman talk. Maybe cost a few dollars. I normally buy cars between xmas and new year. I have at times used costco to negotiate a lease price and then just talk to the dealer about switching it into a sale at a lower price.

This one is interesting cause it is a full loaded truck - only thing you choose is color and 4x4 option. Nothing else can be chosen or deleted. I like that approach.

Will post info in next few days.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Opus

Few models on display at local costcos.

I went to the dealership and have a costco pin number.

4x4 loaded silverado 1500 is $58,500 - with costco cash and discount price it is $52,500. On top of it you get GM discounts if there are any.

The issue is you order one today and get it in 8 weeks. The GM additional discount you get is what is available at time of delivery.

When I went to the dealer and showed him the costco set up he said they could do a little better. So it cuts down the bargaining.

Looks like a good truck for $50K - expensive yes but a much better value than a buff hunt. Truck should last 10-15 years ands styling should not change much.

I like the f-150 better from interior and silverado on the outside. Both trucks performance is 10 times what I need.

Amazing how focused F and GM are on their big trucks.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
As someone who has owned and driven pick ups most of my life (currently own 4, all 4x4s, if you count my son's which is still in my name), I am going to give you some free advice, which is worth more than it costs. #1--Unless you REALLY have a use for the hauling capacity of a truck and live or work in the city, DON'T BUY ONE. The parking problems alone more than offset any utility value. #2--Unless you REALLY drive off road or in seriously bad conditions reasonably often or launch big boats often, DON'T get a 4x4, they add to costs, cost more to repair, and are useful less than 1% of the time. If it's all ego, which is extremely common in Texas truck owners, then ignore the above. It's your money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As someone who has owned and driven pick ups most of my life (currently own 4, all 4x4s, if you count my son's which is still in my name), I am going to give you some free advice, which is worth more than it costs. #1--Unless you REALLY have a use for the hauling capacity of a truck and live or work in the city, DON'T BUY ONE. The parking problems alone more than offset any utility value. #2--Unless you REALLY drive off road or in seriously bad conditions reasonably often or launch big boats often, DON'T get a 4x4, they add to costs, cost more to repair, and are useful less than 1% of the time. If it's all ego, which is extremely common in Texas truck owners, then ignore the above. It's your money.

this is the absolute truth

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Gatogordo: Very good advice (as always).

I don't haul anything and I live in a quasi city (Orlando I don't know what one calls it) . I have leased a full size pickup before. Parking sucks but it is not that bad for me. I have easy parking at home and my office. Parking elsewhere is I park at end and walk. I get my exercise there and I don't even try to squeeze in. I have buddies who live in Houston and their cramped apartment complex parking lot is full of full size trucks - makes no sense to me.

What I like about full size trucks

(1) Well done cabin - enough room for me to actually work out off one - multiples ubs and power outlets. Secured storage for a handgun. 4g wifi.
(2) Crew cab - storage in the back.
(3) Drives high - I don't like crawling into cars and I am a big guy.
(4) Pick up bed - I can haul stuff - paddle board, fishing poles ect
(5) Pick up bed - where I can spend $2-$3K and build secured storage for my guns.

I don't tow anything and haul light stuff - most of the truck potential is wasted on me. I can get a truck with a small engine.

4X4

Driving up north in snow. Otherwise it is a wasted option. I agree with the ego comment - why would anyone want to take a $50K truck off roading. I can do without the 4x4 option.

Overall my GMC full size gave me 18-19 miles per gallon over 20K miles on the lease. My Cadillac gives me 22 and my Honda accord 22-23 same type of driving.

The truck I will have it for years - till it dies.

I can get a gmc Yukon and have most of the stuff (interior space, gun storage ect) and rent a pick up 4 times year I need to haul stuff. But my hood is full of Yukon's with people hauling their kids around - they should get mini-vans.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
To each his own, but it sounds to me like you would be better served by some kind of SUV, like a Tahoe, Explorer or similar. Easier parking, more secure, more interior space, etc. Slightly better mileage.

AFA Orlando goes, in any of the urban areas of S. Florida, the traffic has been either bad or horrible in my recent experiences, not to mention when you throw in the aged driver factor.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To each his own, but it sounds to me like you would be better served by some kind of SUV, like a Tahoe, Explorer or similar. Easier parking, more secure, more interior space, etc. Slightly better mileage.

AFA Orlando goes, in any of the urban areas of S. Florida, the traffic has been either bad or horrible in my recent experiences, not to mention when you throw in the aged driver factor.

Solid advice - will test drive some SUVs.

Orlando is not bad for traffic as long as one stays off 1-4 and local roads. Basically pay up for toll roads. Has a very good system of toll roads - world class - will give the germans a run for the money. All financed by tourist dollars and high tolls.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I am impressed with is ford and gm have put a tremendous amount of effort in getting the full size pick up trucks right.

1/2 ton trucks haul 1.5 tons, tow 12K pounds, have interiors as good as luxury cars and get 20 miles per gallon. They also cost $50-$65K.

They are more truck than most users need.

Amazing the improvement in quality of trucks and autos in last 20 years.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have a 4X4 Duramax 4 door diesel. I usually use it one day a week to haul our trash from the house to the dumpster at my shop. I used to travel many miles a year to BR shooting competitions and carried a shitload of stuff in back. I had 300,000 miles on it after 7 years. That being said I drive a POS Mitsubishi Lancer daily. I drive about 70 miles a day plus other driving and need the 27MPG. It is a dependable vehicle, but I don't like it. I bought it from a customer cheap at 100,000 miles and it now has 230,000.
Only time I've got stuck was in a 4X4 and I lived in Alaska for 6yrs or so. Didn't really need 4X4 there and I don't need it now. We keep a couple 4X4 old military jeeps and a couple 4X4 Samurai at our deer hunting camp.
Did I need a diesel or 4X4, no but I wanted it. A lot of truth in what Charlie posted.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add one more to the above list of truck no-nos.......#3) Unless you plan on hauling heavy loads much of the time, or many times a year don't get a diesel. For instance, if someone is going to tour the US and is going to use a goose neck camper trailer then a diesel is probably a good choice, if you haul cattle trailers for a living, then a diesel is a necessity, OTOH, if once or three times a year you haul a camper to the hunting camp, tow a boat to the lake occasionally, then DON"T GET A DIESEL. They are also heavier in the front end and will get stuck in a heartbeat compared to gasser. They cost more initially, cost much more to maintain, repairs can be unbelievably expensive if not in warranty, and usually the fuel is substantially more per gallon than gas. OTOH, one will get some of the initial cost back on re-sale and will certrainly get better mileage while towing. If I buy another truck, I'll go for a gasser for all of the above reasons and probably some I haven't thought of yet. However, my 2006 Megacab Dodge 2500 4x4 only has about 140K on it and I may not ever buy another truck, since my use profile has changed. I may sell this one to downsize would be the only reason and, as above, my next truck will almost certainly not be a diesel. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given excellent advice I am looking at 4x2 trucks with small engines and suvs.

THe ford 150 with 2.7 v6 ecoboost does 0-60 in under 6 seconds - 5.6 to be exact . This truck also tows 8K pounds and hauls 2K pounds.

It gets 19 miles in city and 26 miles on highway.

THe stats are impressive.

Just to compare

A bmw 3 series does 0-60 in 4.8 sec and gets 20/30 epa mileage.

THe f-150 super crew back seat has more legroom than a 7 series bmw.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My customer's experience shows half that mileage with a box of feathers in the bed.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
#1--Unless you REALLY have a use for the hauling capacity of a truck and live or work in the city, DON'T BUY ONE. The parking problems alone more than offset any utility value.

I gotta disagree with this. I live in the city, spend 90% of my time in the city and have a pickup and love it. Parking is rarely an issue. Occasionally there might be an issue finding a spot that works at a place like the airport but that is truly unusual. I cannot begin to count the times I am thankful for the convenience of having my truck (which is a 4X2 crew cab) . . . running to the nursery to pick up shrubs or mulch or something for the yard, picking up a piece of furniture, grabbing bags of corn to take to the deer lease, getting cases of bottled water or other bulky items at Sams . . . The thought of trying to do that with a car or SUV and having to make sure I have room, putting something down to keep dirt or other crap from getting all over, etc. just gives me a headache thinking about it. It is not an ego thing for this city boy, it is simply very practical and today's trucks are every bit (ride being the possible exception) as nice as most sedans or SUVs. But as they say . . . your mileage may vary.

Mike

Posts: 21243 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
#1--Unless you REALLY have a use for the hauling capacity of a truck and live or work in the city, DON'T BUY ONE. The parking problems alone more than offset any utility value.

I gotta disagree with this. I live in the city, spend 90% of my time in the city and have a pickup and love it. Parking is rarely an issue. Occasionally there might be an issue finding a spot that works at a place like the airport but that is truly unusual. I cannot begin to count the times I am thankful for the convenience of having my truck (which is a 4X2 crew cab) . . . running to the nursery to pick up shrubs or mulch or something for the yard, picking up a piece of furniture, grabbing bags of corn to take to the deer lease, getting cases of bottled water or other bulky items at Sams . . . The thought of trying to do that with a car or SUV and having to make sure I have room, putting something down to keep dirt or other crap from getting all over, etc. just gives me a headache thinking about it. It is not an ego thing for this city boy, it is simply very practical and today's trucks are every bit (ride being the possible exception) as nice as most sedans or SUVs. But as they say . . . your mileage may vary.

Mike,
I tend to agree with you, I like my truck for the reasons that you mentioned. When I bought my diesel the fuel was cheaper and the mileage driven paid the difference shortly. At the present I do not need 4X4, diesel, or the crewcab. It is better for me at this time to use what I have than to buy another.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
For me at least, having gotten used to the convenience of having the pickup I do not think I could go back. I wanted to get a Jeep a while back but I could not get over the need for the pickup bed . . . it is the sort of thing that you may not need all the time, but when you need it, it is darn nice to have. I understand Jeep is coming out in 2017 with a new version (four door) of the old Scrambler pickup . . . that intrigues me greatly.

Mike

Posts: 21243 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to try and see the new Honda Ridgeline.

In my lease of the GMC - I was really impressed with the 5.3 V8 - it deactivated to a 4 V4 on the highway. Had great gas mileage - 23 on the higway at 70-75 miles an hr.

The pickup bed is fun all places other than NYC - where it will be used as a garbage can.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the 5.3L chevy. Never used oil and always started in winter.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
THe ford 150 with 2.7 v6 ecoboost does 0-60 in under 6 seconds - 5.6 to be exact .

I'd like to see that!

rotflmo

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote