New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can-Am Maverick Max.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sorry if this has been discussed previously but does anyone have any first hand experience with the Can-Am Maverick, particularily the 4 seater.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul,
I do not have any experience with the maverick, but I did own an Can Am outlander max. ,it was a 400 with a passenger seat behind the driver seat. They did some very nice things,,like putting the rear seat in front of the back axle, and a really nice engine brake. On super steep down hills I actually had to accelerate to have any speed. When I was looking to buy I looked at all the different brands and felt Can Am had some of the best features. Had it for several years and never had any issues.

Brent

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, try the canam commander forums. 4 seaters may not be on the ground quite yet.

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Maverick but do have a 650 Max. Best machine I ever had.

You might try this forum.
http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a great deal to all those who have responded so far.

For a bit more backround;
i'm a hunt outfitter operating in what is essentially virgin wilderness bushland for the most part.
the region I hunt is ENORMOUS.
I have one main "road" dividing the area in two.
Achieving reasonable walking distance to a lot of hunting areas requires serious offroad driving.
I am looking at this vehicle as a means for getting hunters into remote areas without all of the damage (body damage, tyre damage and undercarraige) incured to conventional 4x4's.
Vehicle maintanance/repairs is a horrendous overhead for us annually.

Brent, your obviously back from Zim, e-mail me I'd like to know how it all went.
Appreciate your feedback re the outlander.
I understand these machines are made in Canada ?
Brent, how did you find the vehicle in terms of auxillary space (carrying gear) ?
Is there scope for adapting to carry; spare fuel, spare tyres, recovery gear and a buffalo head and cape, plus guns etc ?
Would you suggest that these vehicles are; well built of quality components ?

2Kuduhunter; Yes, been (and still am) scouring various forums and test reports.
They say (on various sites) that the 4 seater was to be released this passed x-mas ??
So far everything I've read and researched on these vehicles has been extremely positive except for one reviewer suggesting they should have included power steering.

Ramrod340; quote
"I don't have a Maverick but do have a 650 Max. Best machine I ever had."

Very encouraging !
The Maverick has a 1000cc motor which is going to be thirstier to run but no doubt loger lasting.

Have you guys found these machines geared for fast driving or are they happy to simply roll along ?

Thanks again in advance.

Paul Truccolo, c/o
Southern Safaris Australia P/L
www.southernsafaris.com.au
e-mail; ssahuntinfo@optusnet.com.au

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you guys found these machines geared for fast driving or are they happy to simply roll along ?

In low gear with the wife on back it will plug along or climb anything we have the guts to try. Stick it in high range 2 wheel drive and it will out run (both of us on board) our 700 Polaris with our 17yr old on it. Plus while both the 650 and 700 are fuel injected the 650 with 2 people on it will get about 20-25% better fuel economy. I've had a number of Honda's a couple polaris, rode artic cats. Nothing but can-am in my future.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Truccolo:
Thanks a great deal to all those who have responded so far.

For a bit more backround;
i'm a hunt outfitter operating in what is essentially virgin wilderness bushland for the most part.
the region I hunt is ENORMOUS.
I have one main "road" dividing the area in two.
Achieving reasonable walking distance to a lot of hunting areas requires serious offroad driving.
I am looking at this vehicle as a means for getting hunters into remote areas without all of the damage (body damage, tyre damage and undercarraige) incured to conventional 4x4's.
Vehicle maintanance/repairs is a horrendous overhead for us annually.

Brent, your obviously back from Zim, e-mail me I'd like to know how it all went.
Appreciate your feedback re the outlander.
I understand these machines are made in Canada ?
Brent, how did you find the vehicle in terms of auxillary space (carrying gear) ?
Is there scope for adapting to carry; spare fuel, spare tyres, recovery gear and a buffalo head and cape, plus guns etc ?
Would you suggest that these vehicles are; well built of quality components ?

2Kuduhunter; Yes, been (and still am) scouring various forums and test reports.
They say (on various sites) that the 4 seater was to be released this passed x-mas ??
So far everything I've read and researched on these vehicles has been extremely positive except for one reviewer suggesting they should have included power steering.

Ramrod340; quote
"I don't have a Maverick but do have a 650 Max. Best machine I ever had."

Very encouraging !
The Maverick has a 1000cc motor which is going to be thirstier to run but no doubt loger lasting.

Thanks again in advance.

Paul Truccolo, c/o
Southern Safaris Australia P/L
www.southernsafaris.com.au
e-mail; ssahuntinfo@optusnet.com.au

Paul,
Yep back from Zim, i will drop you a email.
Can am is Canadian. Solid built machines. Mine was not a side by side. Seat was rear. There was a rack. In the front and rear. When in TX I had a 20 liter gas can and a separate 20 l water can. Tent, air pump and tire plug kits. Rifle in a side scabbard, as well as small pack with food and stuff in it. No problems, it was a big machine. That said, next time i would buy a side by side, especially if I knew I would have to be riding with you. Nothing personal, but sitting with my legs wrapped around you just does not excite me

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pm sent

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey there Brent,
I'm really liking a lot of positive feedback regarding this unit !

Can-am is basically unknown in Aus (at least it is to me !) therefore my sceptisism.

So far there appears to be some obvious shortcomings (storage space etc), when applied directly to my intended purpose, but this Maverick 4 seater is the closest all-terrain vehicle, capable of carrying 4 people, that I've yet to see that I feel suits my needs.

So far I'm not able to find where/if they are available in Aus and have many more unanswered questions therefore I will approach the manufacturer for more answers.

I've got a couple of good buds in Canada who I may send on a search and discover assignment.

"Nothing personal, but sitting with my legs wrapped around you just does not excite me"
I' not even going there !!!!!!!

2kuduhunter, p.m responded to, thanks.

Paul.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up date to this thread.

Late yesterday I was able to track down a dealer hear near home.

They had one Commander in stock and I went down there for a look.

A couple of things I learnt from the sales staff;
* 17k is NOT what they will sell for here in Aus.
The Commander xt retails for $24K, the 4 seater is expected to be much higher than that !
* 2kuduhunter was right about availability, the 4 seater is not expected in Aus until the end of this year at the earliest.

My general impressions of the quality of build of these vehicles is very high, at least on the model I saw.
I was very impressed with the size of bar used for the R.O.P.S (compared to other brands I've looked at) and in the manner in which it was finished off, i.e rolled, welded and powder coated/painted.
This is an important feature when travelling in harsh terrain whilst carrying clients.
The reassurance of safety one gets from the roll-over structure is great.

I was also impressed with the measure of comfort for passengers built into these vehicles.
Reasonable quality seats, generous feet and head room, generous spacing between passengers, personalised safety bars to hang on to.

With regards to capacity to carry, without having actually seen the 4 seater, the base structure of the 2 seater does allow for attatchments, holders, racks and other accesories the I believe can be adapted and added to the vehicle that will allow a basic minimum of gear for 3 or 4 people for a full days hunting as well as trophy recovery (buffalo head and cape take up quite a lot of room).

My remaining issues with this vehicle at this stage center mainly around cost.

When it does arrive on our shores the 4 seater will almost certainly retail for $30k +, maybe even more and that is for the basic vehicle.
Add carry racks, bottom smash plate, spare tyres and wheels, doors, half windscreen, radiator screen, gear rails, front bumper, luggage rail etc, etc and you end up with what is essentially a very expensive a.t.v.

Paul.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul
I live in a mountain house, in a dificult zone, in the top of a hill and I have a can am 650 - two pasangers. EXCELLENT. Only, excellent. My other car is a Ram Laramie 2500 but the can am it's my best vehicle. (i'm sorry for my bud English) Regards. Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hector,

thank-you so much for your feedback.

It is very reasuring to get positive feedback from so many who have owned and used these vehicles, it is quite amazing.

Which model do you use ?

Thank-you again,

Paul.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OUTLANDER MAX 650 - 2011 YEAR. Regards

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Can-am has one of the nicest rides you will find.
They are also buit pretty good with less repairs required than competitors from my experience.

FWIW Can-am is actually Bombardier (SKi-doo, Sea-Doo). The name was changed to can-am around the time of Freedom fries(French fries) in US to denote the ATV division.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote