New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Deere, any good?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i grew up with Volvo and Valmet tractors, and they always worked and was 100% reliable.
another neighbor had Massey Ferguson, and seems to be satisfied.

and i'm looking to buy my first tractor, i found this John Deere 2040.
it has 4wd and that lifting/shovel-thing
(don't know the english word for it)
it looks well maintained and a price that don't scare me away.

here it is.

so...any comments on the brand in general or the 2040 in particular?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lifting/shovel thing = bucket ! Yes Deere is a very good brand.Do you have a good dealer there for parts etc ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Do you have a good dealer there for parts etc ?

parts shouldnt be any problem, the dealer is located about 50km away from the place i'm moving to.
the dealer is probably as good as the others, haven't heard any complaints.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Around here we call the the thing on the end the endloader.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Deere is the best selling farm equipment maker in the U.S., they're considered the best of the best here. A used John Deere tractor will sell for considerably more here than a comparable tractor of another make. Europe has a lot of well known tractor brands and John Deere probably isn't as well known there since they're mostly made in the U.S., but rest assured that they are a HUGE maker of farm equipment and of excellent quality.

The thing on the front is called a front end loader, a most useful piece of gear. 4wd makes it especially useful because a 2wd tractor has a hard time pushing the loader bucket into a pile of dirt, grain, etc. That's a nice looking tractor and a very versatile setup with the 4wd and loader. If it's a good price then buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
That is close to perfect size for getting work done around the farm, big enough to work but not so huge it becomes ungodly expensive.

As mentioned, JD tractors are second to none, even if the plastic cowls break easily and cost rather dear!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the LINK to Nebraska Tractor Tests for the JD 2040. Click to download the PDF document...only 2 pages.

Lots of documented test info on your tractor. I was surprised that yours is a 1975 model. An antique!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
There is a reason for Deere's reputation in this country. My personal tractor (for which I paid more than it was worth new) is a 720 Gas which produces about 50 hp with two cylinders and 360 CID (about 6 litres displacement) at about 1200 RPM.

Fuel consumption is about 2 gals. per hour at PTO speed. It pulls right at the limit up hill with 72" bushhog.

It was delivered in 1958. I say it's not the words but the music that makes it beautiful!

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Uncle Felex bought one I guess in 1946 when he took over the family Farm, I was driving by the other day and my Cousin Frank was doing some work and low and behold there was the same 1946 John Deere tractor doing its thing. 62 years and still going, I talked to Frank about it, he was bitching that he had to do a headgasket, I said what do you want for gods sake this was the first time right, he said yep. While he was at it he did some cylinder work new rings and such since he had it all apart, about 400 dollars worth of parts, did the work himself, Not bad for 60 plus years of use. My experience with John Deere is I had an 20 Hp lawn Tractor, mower and snow blower. I had it for 18 years when I sold my house, I sold the Deere for just about what I paid for it. Very good machines. You can't do any better

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257 Rock:
Around here we call the the thing on the end the endloader.

Around here, we call it, the front end loader. Big Grin No doubt Johne Deere makes top qualit eqipment, but you sure pay for that green paint. If you ever have to repair it, it's going to be expensive, no matter what the Brand.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't eat breakfast cereal but in the supermarket I happened to see a Kellog's cereal.They were shaped into miniature pieces of equipment with appropriate colors ,green Deeres, yellow Cats etc !! Some people will eat anything! popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Deeres are good stuff. And of course Caterpillar is good stuff. Although parts are expensive, Caterpillar is probably best for parts availability.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was horrified to learn that some of the smaller John deers are now made in India!

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i actually found a john deere song on youtube made by a norwegian band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j9CXOEck9U

john deere is nice, john deere is good
you make me hot, you make me happy
you're the best tractor ever
always with me to a party...
...love at first sight
shall never be replaced...
...you have opened my mind, tractorphile i am...
...so warm, good and loving...
...you're the best bride ever
faithful, you are mine...

and so it goes on shocker

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's weird !! rotflmo

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
That's weird !! rotflmo

Not really when you consider the horse.

Farmers loved their horses. They were treated like a member of the family and cared for with TLC.

Interesting to see these same farmers treat their mechanical horses the same way, especially in the wheat and corn belts.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Couple pics of mine

No complaint so far...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She looks proud of that beer.....

oooooohhh look at me...I drink a beer...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Why do people always want to show you their beverage when they get their picture taken?

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote