Tools

So You Want A 6 Wheel Drive Cruiser???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, now you can have one...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/ca...ta-land-cruiser-6x6/

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh good ! now I can transport a WHOLE hefalump !
clap

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Virtually indestructible? Go anywhere?

Having been really stuck in a variety of motorized machines, including those with treads and including going downhill, I can only imagine what lessons some idiots with a deep checkbook are going to learn on this one with that fanfare.

When Hummers were new I came upon one very stuck in a muddy bog by the owners son. I called the owner to advise him his assistance was needed and to bring lots of gear including something bigger and with a winch. The owner informed me that 'Hummers don't get stuck, they simply get delayed'. I advised him his Hummer was indeed delayed, right up to the door handles. Wished him lots of luck.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have long been a 4x4 truck enthusiast and just about as long I've been a forum member and moderator on an internet forum...

my personal motto is you use 2wd until you get into trouble then use 4x4 to get out of it...

Because when you get truly "stuck" in 4x4 it usually means that you are way past any reasonable hope of cheap rescue...

getting stuck in a 6x6 is just a more mechanically complicated way to instill a false sense of security when you are headed towards a bad experience.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People are slow --WWII - German's realized that the Russian tanks with wider tracks were better in the Spring thaw !
The progression = 2wd=> 4wd=> tracks => low impact tracks [available ontractors] Just plain logic !

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
This truck wouldn't appeal to me because of any extra special off road agility. But I see the advantage of 6x6 in carrying heavy loads in snow, sand, mud.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6X6 is intended for sand and if you drive a lot in sand, an extra axial isn't a bad thing.

One vehicle we have found that works wonders in sand and rock in Namibia is the Suzuki Gypsy. You can have four for the price of one Hilux and you can keep all four fueled for what it takes to fill one Hilux. Plus they are cheaper, more capable and far more comfortable than a side by side ATV.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for about $13,000 you can buy a surplus Deuce and a Half. Get one with the winch, and you can make good money pulling guys with 4WD pickups who believe the crap they see on TV out of places they should never have gone in the first place.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much? Love it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
I have long been a 4x4 truck enthusiast and just about as long I've been a forum member and moderator on an internet forum...

my personal motto is you use 2wd until you get into trouble then use 4x4 to get out of it...

Because when you get truly "stuck" in 4x4 it usually means that you are way past any reasonable hope of cheap rescue...

getting stuck in a 6x6 is just a more mechanically complicated way to instill a false sense of security when you are headed towards a bad experience.

AD

The more drive wheels you got, the stucker you're gonna be, when it happens. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes , the old saying -- 4x4 lets you get stuck in worse places !! wave