Notify
Tools

Ram is onto something
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This could change your mind about EV/Hybrid trucks
https://techcrunch.com/2023/11...wered-generator/amp/

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why? Essentially it’s a ICE powered vehicle, with an electric drive train. It doesn’t produce the lack of CO2 emission that is the point of EV’s. I question how well it will tow higher payloads as that will require the most power.

About all it is able to do is make a hybrid with a simplified drive train.

Yes, it gets rid of the absurd wait times for charging and makes it so you are not chained to charging stations on long trips, but how is it “better” or more convincing than any hybrid vehicle? Is it more price competitive?

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They say it is bridge technology; the difference is that this version cannot use the gas engine to power the vehicle; it can only power the generator. Series power transfer only.
Like the Porsche tank of 1938.
If you want a full battery vehicle, this ain't it. But the world is not ready for those yet anyway.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or any diesel/electric locomotive?

Hardly an innovative bridge technology.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my view....this is a most sensible solution. Gobs of horsepower with towing capacity to be envied..Plus it can be a stand alone generator for tools,power outages. You name it.

No prices have been offered that I know of....might be a deal breaker.

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Or any diesel/electric locomotive?

Hardly an innovative bridge technology.

There is a guy in Anaheim who built a battery-electric locomotive out of an older diesel-electric one.
There are a couple of them but have not gained traction (tee-hee-hee) in the market yet.

The Endurance battery-electric pickup development hit the wall, not sure if a new owner will revive it.
Workhorse is still at it, may yet survive if they pick up a sponsor.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14368 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am intrigued by the concept and am surprised it has not been done yet. I would like to see one where the engine handles charging and heating. All electric power would go to moving the vehicle and running the lights. Nothing else. I could live without a power tailgate (If I can't handle the tailgate, I shouldn't be driving a truck but an electric cart). I could also live without power windows, if I'm being honest. I know this will never happen. The continuing pussification of America demands more creature comforts, and for the modern metrosexual male, dicking around with computerized crap is fun. Still, I'm interested in seeing this for real. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote