Find
Notify
Tools

F-350 4x4 hub problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted
I have a low mileage 1999 Ford F-350/ The locking hubs are frozen and will not engage the front wheels. I pulled one hub, everything was nice and clean on the inside.

I am guessing that a new set of hubs are needed.

Can I change to an automatic hub instead for the manual type that I have now?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I think it can be done but you'll have to seal up the vacuum line to the hubs originally.

Check out http://www.thedieselstop.com they have been a ton of help for me. If the hubs arn't locking in it may be the vac switch.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
up

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would never go back to automatic hubs again. Owned two vehicles with them and sometimes they would engage, sometimes they would not.
Manual hubs you lock in and know they are locked.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Snow

Keith

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hey, Keith. First thing I'd do is check to make sure you're getting a vacumn signal to the right places. Especially if neither hub is actuating. That said, my 89 Ford is converted to manual hubs and they are worry free as Snowwolfe said.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Harry, the hubs are frozen, will not budge. Lock on one side W/arrow, Auto on other side w/arrow pointing the other way. I "thought" that was a manual hub?

I was thinking about Waren hubs in stead of OEM again.

Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you think they are the same as a 1995? I have a set of manual locking hubs are fairly new. You can have them for shipping.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've got Warns on my F-150 and the are dead simple. Hopefully not a whole lot different for a GM hub,

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Keith; did you get 'er resolved?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the auto hubs that I have seen except for some of the older Dodge don't actually engage at the wheel, they have a vacuum actuator that when activated moves a spline sleeve in the front axle that locks the front axles together which puts power to the front wheels.

BTW, the manual hubs are very simple and I don't know why they won't lock and unlock.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hubs did not work for hogkiller. I will extend the offer to any one on this site. Free just pay shipping.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote