New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dirt bike for game hauling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After packing two cow elk a mile and a half with a Cabelas game cart, my hunting buddy and I are considering something motorized for game hauling. I am thinking of a two-wheeled dirt bike, since I figure it will handle side hills and rugged terrain better than a quad.

Anyone use a two-wheeler for game hauling?

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only two wheeler suitable for game hauling is the Rokon.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI,

There are a few problems with rokon,they are not allowed on the road,only can go 25-30 mpr,and go for around 6,000-7,000 dollars.If only used for hunting them I would want one,but being tight in the pockets I would want to use it more than just hunting,Kev

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is my fervent hope that the new administration, like the Clinton administration, bans motorized 2 and 4 wheelers. Those things tear the dickens out of land that won't heal for years, if ever.

Get a horse or get in better shape. Don't rip up the land and ruin it for others !

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
my first question for you would be are you an experienced rider,i have tried many bikes i have owned 2 rokons they went good even in deep snow, but my personal favorite is the honda fatcat made in the late 87-88, fat tires 5spd transmission,automatic transmission. but hauling a heavy unbalanced load in a pack or on the bike on uneven terrain the possibility of falling over or down asteep bank and getting hurt isnt worth it.

Posts: 38 | Location: seattle,wa | Registered: 29 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I probably (!) don't agree with Chop on his political views I have to admit good horses are a great help in both getting to the game and packing it out. I have a lot of time on "dirt bikes" and one thing they don't like is extra weight balanced poorly especially something like a big helping of elk. Sidehills will be a problem...ever try to go over rough terrain or sidehill with a passenger? Not good IMO. Mind you my experience is with MX or enduro bikes set up to run hard with the rider weight dialed in. I have NO experience with the Rokon, but one still has to deal with two wheels and the balance issue.

Let us know what you come up with!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
I use a 1987 Honda Fat Cat to putt around on sometimes and have found that the damn thing will buck you off, fall over with you, and scare the crap out of me from time to time. I no longer ride it anywhere that a 4 wheeler can't go. By far the best hunting rig is my riding mule and pack horse.

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
The only two wheeler suitable for game hauling is the Rokon.

Good advice....not fun to ride but they will get you into places that you cant get anything else.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing with dirt bikes is, in order for them to do what you want, you have to be a good rider. The rider's ability is a huge factor with a bike. Put a good rider on a good bike and it will outclimb any thing and cover a lot of ground fast. Put the average guy on one and he will struggle a lot and hurt himself.
One time, prior to a race, I rode a KLR Kawasaki around the MX track while carrying a passenger and my dog. This would, I suppose, approximate the handling of the same machine with a small deer on the back and a tankbag full of gear. While it worked out OK, I can't say I would recommend it! No, I did not attempt the double jumps!
I'm not a great fan of motorized use in game areas (I don't much like the knapweed spreadin' horse outfits either!)and figure the effort required is part of the experience! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chop901 completly. If your legs can't get you there, then you shouldn't be there. Elk are heavy. If you don't want to pack one out then just keep on the roads. When it comes to hunting, overweight, out of shape, lazy SOBs should not be places where people who take care of their body are able to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ONe of the gentlemen I used to hunt with has gone to this version

http://www.imz-ural.com/gearup/ it has a gear driven thrid wheel

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote