New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATV "Trailer Hitch" systems....??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for suggestions for ATV trailer hitch system, for very rugged (WILDERNESS) country.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
My JD Gator came with a 2” hitch receiver mounted to the frame, same as a truck. I just slide the hitch tongue into the receiver and I’m done.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
My JD Gator came with a 2” hitch receiver mounted to the frame, same as a truck. I just slide the hitch tongue into the receiver and I’m done.

OK, There are many different "SYSTEMS". I assume your using a "ball" and coupler. I understand there are issues with that in extremely rugged country. I am hoping to discover what is being used where there is "NO" trail, strictly bushwhacking, wilderness Alaska, hauling heavy loads of moose.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I strongly suggest you just get a 2" receiver and use the same setup you have on your trucks. No need to put yourself in a situation trying to fit an incompatible hitch into a different receiver.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look into a pintle hook and loop. Your trailer probably does not have the loop but it may be worth putting one on.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Use a hitch tongue with a pin like farm implements.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 6' drop hitch on my Defender, turned upside down so the ball is more level with the hitch on my trailer, also, if the implement has a tongue instead of a trailer hitch, I just remove the ball and drop a pin thru the tongue/hole. Works pretty good.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl:

6 foot??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Karl:

6 foot??

George

6 foot only on the trailers with really high hitches, 6 inch on the rest Wink

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote