New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Wheels for F-150
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 2011 F-150 Lariat and have been getting air leakage with my tires. It turns out the winter crap they put on our highways is corrosive and eating away at the wheel's chrome thus losing the seal. Ford is ridiculous with their costs per wheel so I would rather buy something from another company to dress up the truck. I haven't bought anything to spruce up a vehicle in ages so I'm looking for suggestions to a manufacturer of quality wheels. Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chrome plated aluminum or chrome plated steel ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question. Which do you think would hold up better in western Pennsylvania? I really don't know the merits of one over the other.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have aluminum rims on a 1995 f350 and the tires still hold air great. The rest of the truck is rotted. I would not get steel.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not ask on a website like www.F150online.com
That should get you more responses.Perhaps details of the rim construction.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have alum wheels on my f150 in salty wis no trouble

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What are you wanting to do?

Do you want new shiny chrome wheels, or do you just want something that is both durable and also looks nice?

Since I do not live in the city, if I wanted a new look and durability I'd get regular steel wheels and have them powder coated. You can even get a chrome powder coating that looks pretty nice but just know it is not mirror-shiny. Some place might even be able to refurb your current wheels and powder coat them, depends on the pitting.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My truck is mainly used on highways with infrequent dirt road trips for fishing. Since I am facing new wheels, I would like to improve the looks of the truck (still a teenager at heart) and be functional. My truck is black and I thought black wheels would look good on it. My problem is I have no idea what to buy or where to buy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe just have the wheels cleaned and powder coated...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have aluminum wheels on my ford also...

I long ago became a believer in aluminum wheels after switching and discovering that my brakes lasted longer...

The aluminum wheels act as radiators keeping the brakes cooler...

The aluminum wheels I run are factory rims, but they are also very tough, I've seen them break in collisions, but have never seen one "bent"

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just put inner tubes in the tires

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a junk yard or 'street tire vendor'. In Dallas last week and here, I see shops selling matching wheels that somebody felt needed replaced to 'jazz up' their ride.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
To echo what Rich said, maybe consider having your factory wheels reconditioned and refinished. There are a bunch of companies, some even mobile, that will do that for a nominal fee. Living on the other side of the state, I've experienced what you're talking about. I used to have a Lexus sedan where the wheels got eaten alive by salt and road crap. Refinish and good as new until I sold it a few years ago.

If you're hot for the new wheel bug, though, there are about 1,000,000 choices for F150 wheels out there. I'd certainly recommend aluminum for the reasons others listed. See if you can get forged as opposed to cast. The wheel configurator at TireRack.com gives you a good place to start. You can visualize what different wheels look like on your truck. I have bought lots of stuff from them in the past, and they're top-notch.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote