Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep Wrangler V-8 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Anyone have experience with a Wrangler/GM 4.8L V-8 conversion? I've got my eyes on a cheap high mileage YJ with straight body, supposedly the V-8 conversion is fairly easy, would be fun, increased power/mileage/dependability, etc.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 78 CJ5 and I put a 4.3L with throttle body injection. Easy to do, let me install a turbo 350 with my dana 300 and I gained and extra 3" of deiveline. At 26', it was somewhat of a good thing. The most common engine swaps I have seen is the 5.7 hemi. There are several companys,aftermarket,that make parts for the conversion, teraflex, blue torch fab, just to name two that have what you would need. If I can help with what you need, let me know. I have built four for off road, rockcrawling.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the jeep has a 4.2L 6cyl. I would look at putting a 4.0L in with fuel injection before doing the 8cyl.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A v8 swap is fairly common. take a look at pirate 4x4 on the web it has a lot of good info.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you add the v-8. You are going to need a new trans, tranfer case and axles. No going to be cheap.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is endless what can done to customize a jeep. Just ask my wife. The only thing that stopped me was when i hit the 17K mark. (and my wife saw the charges)

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I knew a guy that had a Chevy 327 in his jeep. If I remember there was a bell housing that allowed the original jeep transmission, etc.

At the 4x4 club meetings he was the only one I never saw get stuck in mud or sand. He had enough power tp keep his wehhls spinning at a high rate of speed, so they slung off the mud and kept their traction

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was ready to do an engine swap, I looked into the 4.0 inline six as opposed to the 4.2 (258) that was in my jeep. I learned that there were some who had taken the crank from the 4.0 installed it into the 258 and stroked it. With all the meat inside the 258 I could have bored it 100 over and really tricked it up. My friend at the motor shop had never stroked a six cylinder and was kind of intrigued by the idea.
What I needed was more drive line length and the six just would not allow me to get where I wanted to be. My rear driveline was at 27’ angle and I wanted to get it below 10’. So I opted for the 4.3 swap. When all was done, I had 8’ on my rear drive line and after I installed the Rock Jock high pinion axle the driveline went to 6 1/2’ rear driveline angle.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Check out MoTech they do aluminum block chevy ls swaps both small and big block. They sell kits to DIY also.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote