THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PHOTO ALBUMS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Photo Albums And Videos    Nairobi National Park awhile back (pictures added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nairobi National Park awhile back (pictures added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Sunday morning, what to do? Grabbed the travel camera and drove through Nairobi National Park for a couple of hours:

Camera: Nikon D60 with Nikkor 18-200mm VR

You can't beat an old lightweight obsolete camera for travelling without worrying about the equipment. Only have my business laptop with me so I downloaded Gimp 2 to downsize and sharpen the images, which seem to turn out a little contrasty with this software. But it is free.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Having had a day to think about it, yesterday was one of the best game viewing drives I've ever been on. I've been to Nairobi National Park 3 or 4 times before, but yesterday I watched a lion mate, a pride of females stake out a waterhole and some monster impala. It isn't always easy to take a photo without the urban skyline or houses in the background though.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Thanks!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink

Thanks for taking the time to post ...the pictures

are fantastic... Hope you had a great Sunday..

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Bill, I'm sure the travel and time away from the family can be a pain but you sure are a lucky man!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Great pictures Bill, I'm sure the travel and time away from the family can be a pain but you sure are a lucky man!

It is pretty rare for me to be able to be anywhere but offices on my business trips to Africa, but it is one of the side benefits that every once in awhile I can do something on a weekend that is relaxing and enjoyable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures. Thx for sharing!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,
clap
Thanks!
I am amazed by the compositions, and high definition, perfect focus, depth of field, light, and shadow, etc., etc.
These are among the best wildlife photos I have ever seen.
You have some great equipment, excellent skills, and ARTISTRY!

More? Please!
I am setting a notification in case you do ...

popcorn

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
OK RIP, here are a couple more:

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Wink,
clap
Thanks!

You have some great equipment,

More? Please!
I am setting a notification in case you do ...

popcorn

Actually, the equipment I used for these photos is far from top of the line. The Nikon D60 was never more than the entry level Nikon DSLR and hasn't been made for several years. These days 10 Megapixels is considered obsolete. The 18-200mm VR lens has been replaced by the 18-200mm VRII in the Nikon line-up. It's incredibly versatile, but not really considered to be a very sharp lens. But for web posting it's sufficient. For large prints, such as 16" X 20"s however the limits of the 10MP/soft lens combination would become apparent. For what Nikon calls the DX format (APS-C size sensor) I think the 12MP of the D90 and the D300s remain the best camera body choices. The 16MP sensor of the D7000 pretty much requires that you use the professional level Nikon lenses, and you have to have impeccable technique (like rock solid steadiness with a tripod, particular attention to flare which filters contribute to, etc.) because the 16MP sensor is unforgiving of bad technique. I know, I've got one. These were all shot "handheld", although I did ask the driver to cut the engine to minimize shake from the vibrating vehicle.

The truth is that 200mm lens in DX format (equivalent to 300mm in a full size sensor) is just not quite long enough for wildlife photos. Most of these shots are cropped from the center of the image. One day, when money is no object, I will buy a 300mm f/2.8 Nikkor ($6,000 yikes!), put it on my D7000 (making it equivalent to a 450mm) and start getting serious about this wildlife photo thing. Just FYI, a Nikon 400mm f/2.8 costs $10,000, weights a ton and pretty much requires using a monopod at the minimum, a tripod if you want to get serious.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I still say you are good!
And you got up close with adequate equipment! Wink

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Mike

Posts: 21204 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink - I completely agree with RIP. The quality of your photos is astounding - composition, sharpness, timing, everything!

I'm also drooling over the size of those East African impala!

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the photo of the herd of zebras!
Well done sir.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Molepolole:
Wink - I completely agree with RIP. The quality of your photos is astounding - composition, sharpness, timing, everything!

I'm also drooling over the size of those East African impala!

If they had those Impala in South Africa we'd all be hunting Impala on every trip.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
They have a Kodachrome look to them, very nice!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The classic Nairobi skyline Giraffe:

The Yawn:

The "just give me a couple more years" Buff:

The "minding their own business" Zebra:

Another view of the really retro Rhino:

Is that some sort of tracker in his horn?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,
Excellent. You sure you are not a pro with top of line equipment?
Photography could not be better.

Your captions need some work though.
It is obvious that the second zebra from the left is minding the business of the third zebra from the left.
Not minding its own business!
Downright nosey! Wink

Wink said:

'The "minding their own business" Zebra:'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wink i was at the park yesterday and it was great lots of good animals. some monster impala

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Hope it wasn't too wet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wink,
no it was not to wet. but i bet it is today it rained a lot last evening.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
It looks like those Kenyan Immirgration Wallahs had no clue as what they had done to their country letting the Hook in. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Great Photos, thank you for sharing. Monster Impala Cool

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shhhhhh don't tell them.