Notify
Tools

DIY Oven
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
RATS!!! Been to Lowe's and Home Depot ... largest double wall vent they have locally is 5".

Go to the service desk at Home Depot. They'll get a trucked in on thier next re-stock truck. I've done it a few times. If they have it in the warehouse they'll do it with a smile.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Actually I did ask at the contractor desk and they looked pretty hard for me.

Is not on the web site of either Home Depot or Lowes. Found it on the a wood stove web site, but it was stainless and cost $130!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry move to the front of the DIY class! EXCELLENT! tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Tractor Supply Store, Farm & Fleet, or other farm/ranch supply store.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the heat source at the bottom, there should be some natural circulation going on to ensure the temperature gradient is not too much. Putting a thermometer in the bottom half of the oven would tell us.

My wife put her foot down and told me to get my own oven for the garage after I baked a silencer once. This looks like the right solution. Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heat naturally rises and the oven works fine. I have used this oven and the results speak for themselves. The rifles are hunted with and the finish is holding up great.

It works off the same principle as any oven does. There is no need to make this complicated.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1

Exactly what kind of pipe did you buy? I am pretty familiar with these systems, since a guy that used to work for me ran a woodstove shop for years and I installed several for my use. The only two types I have seen are triple wall air insulated and double wall sealed pipe with high temp insulation between the walls. Metalbestos is the dominant brand in the market for the double wall pipe. I have looked high and low, and spent several hours trolling the web, and it looks like the cheapest prices available for Metalbestos type pipe (which looks like your pictures) is around $50 per foot for 8" pipe. That puts the total cost of an oven like this (with a cheap hotplate and fittings) around $200. Not overly expensive but high enough to make you nervous if it doesn't work as planned.

Just wondering if there is some type of cheaper pipe I am overlookomg.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Art, I have no idea what the pipe is called or what it is for. I do remember I bought it at the Home Depot and it was about $15. I'm just guessing but I think it's a vent pipe for a natural gas central heating unit. There is no insulation inbetween the walls. I'm reasonably sure the inner wall is not stainless because I would have remembered cutting that! Eeker

I peeled some of the tape away and took some pictures of it this morning, maybe you can figure out what it is. The top picture shows the outer pipe is folded over the inner pipe. The bottom picture shows the two different walls. I don't remeber but I must have cut the pipe to length because you can see where I got into it with a saber saw. I moved the inner wall out some so you could see the two walls. I didn't remember the part about cutting the pipe to length but I put this thing together about 4-5 years ago and suffer from CRS. Frowner

Look is it over and if you can tell what it is please let us know.

I hope this helps.
Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used an old grill. I put a finish on an 870 Riot shotgun and it worked well. I have a bigger grill not but keep the old one for that purpose.

Nick10Ring

Posts: 58 | Location: Struthers,Ohio | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right, it must be some kind of vent pipe. Most of the furnace and water heater vent pipes I have seen are 3-4". It may be for kitchen stove hoods or something. It isn't seamless and it doesn't look like stainless, so I am certain it is not chimney pipe. The Metalbestos would make a great oven, but as I said, the cost would be pretty high.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I did a little more research, and found that they make pipe like you show for decorative and metal fireboxes. It apparently requires more clearance than the more expensive types. One manufacturer I found which looks like it would work is FMI. They make a pipe section 48-8DM which is 8" ID, 48" long and has a stainless inner shell and an aluminum oter shell. Home depot has it available online to order for store pickup. Sears and Amazon also list it. Price is around $50 to 55 with $16 shipping.

One other question. Are you sure about the size of the pipe? The pictures you show look like the paint can lid is about the size of the outside of the pipe, neglecting the insulation. I measured a paint can lid, and it is around 5-1/2". As far as I know, they are all the same. That makes me think the pipe is a 4" vent pipe, with an outside diameter of slightly under 6". I think that is a pretty common pipe size and is about $15 at the box stores. If you look at the picture of the end of your pipe, it looks like the number 456-217 has been written on with a marker. This is the Home Depot SKU for 5 foot joint of plain single wall 4" vent pipe, which yours obviously isn't.

http://www.homedepot.com/Build...0051&catalogId=10053

I suspect the piece you bought was quite a bit more expensive and was mismarked when you got it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guessed the diameter of the pipe. Let me crawl back up in the attic and I'll measure it. I just assumed it was 8" because it looks larger than 6"

Back in a moment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all let me apologize to anyone who went looking for an 8" pipe, I was wrong. All this stuff is up in my attic because I'm not using it right now and I just assumed that's what it was. I should have measured it. As the picture shows the pipe is roughly 6 1/2" round. The hot plate must have about a 6" eye on it because the the pipe just covers the eye.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. After going to the hardware and looking at some pipe, I am pretty certain what you used is 5" B spec vent pipe for gas heaters and water heaters. They normally carry 3" and 4" in stock at Lowe's and Home Depot. They show the 5" on their website, but most stores don't carry it, you have to order. I suspect it is larger to use for gas furnaces. A heating contractor or supplier may have it in stock. If you order it, looks to be around $18 a joint at Home Depot. That looks like a good deal.

Here's a website that sells it in all sizes. A little more expensive, but you can get ny size and length you want.

http://www.ventingpipe.com/ind...0&page=search:browse

I also noted that Lowes carried a 6"x36" Metalbestos type stove pip for $87. That's within reason and should work. It would give you a lot more even heat and negate the need for any protective insulation on the outside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is making much more sense. And I measured the pieces I want to coat ... and the 5" will work.

Thanks to all!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post