New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Dog Crate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the past I have always had a shell on the back of my trucks so my dog has ridden in the back or in the cab with me. I am not putting a shell on the new truck so am thinking about a carrier that can be tied down in the bed. I need something that is reasonably rugged and warm. The plastic carriers I am seeing on line and in the pet stores don't really look that great. Any suggestions? It only has to hold one dog, a Chesapeake, and it does get cold here in Colo. in the winter.
Thank.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a plastic crate you can put in/take out of the truck. Get a cover designed for the crate. I was amazed how well it stayed warm/kept heat in. Cabelas sells insulated ones.
If you want to spend more money, Ainley and Mountaintop make/sell single dog stainless/aluminum insulated crates.
Ainley built me a 3 dog stainless/aluminum model, but it's NOT removable.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will check them out. Plastic would be lighter and easily moveable for sure, just want something that will hold up.
Thanks.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Ainley makes great stuff.

I had a triple dog kennel made that fit on top of my Ainley gun box in the bed of my truck under my topper. Worked well and still looks like new.

I picked up some Ruff Tuff kennels from an outfit in South Dakota last year. They are roto molded and have the option of adding some links that tie them together. My new truck wouldn't allow me using my Ainley kennel so I picked up 3 of these. They are not cheap, but very well made and having them secured to each other is a nice option.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote