THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Teaching video/book for pointing and upland game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaching video/book for pointing and upland game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am on track to get my first pointing dog this spring, a Drahthaar, to be exact. I have used Richard Wolter, Water Dog, with great success in the past (with black labs). Any direction or advise on an upland/pointer would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay with Wolter his first book Gun Dog covers pointers and I believe his son has released some videos.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you actually have a Deutsch Drahthaar or German Wirehair pointer?

If you do in fact have a DD, then get the book from your VDD club.

If not, the best book I've read and used with great results, was GUN DOG SUPREME by Joan Bailey. most library carries it.

Which breeder did you adopt your pup from?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you do ultimately depends on what you expect from the dog...the type of hunting you do...and how you envision the dog working. There are excellent books from both NAVHDA and the VDD. I would recommend you contact the Altmoor Kennel as well...they have written a very good book on starting a pup.

Over 40 years, I have found that with Vdogs (field and water) the most important thing is to keep a balance....between independence and dependence....not so much obedience that dog is looking to you too much and enough independence so that the dog is comfortable working on its own. Let the pup be a pup...take the "controls" gradually, keeping it fun, be persistent and consistent. You "round the edges" with behavior and obedience work when its needed...lots of repetition.

I've tested in NAVHDA and the JGHV (German system), taken dogs to the Invitational, and bred dogs in the past that could hold their own in FT....and can say that a DD is not a Lab...they probably won't fetch a bumper 500 times and want more. Keep your training concentrated and well planned but always quit when you're ahead, leaving the dog wanting more, especially with pups.

Take it for what its worth

www.vonargos.com

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Wire Hair as well. The NAVHDA method is good. I actually did some of her training with the Wolter's book, Water Dog. You may want to look at Larry Mueller's "Speed Training" books. I pulled some fine points from his methods for both my retrievers and my pointer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The puppy is a dd out of utah. A black female. I ordered Perfect Start from Perfect Kennels, and the Altmoor puppy manual.

The dog will mostly be a family pet, with hunting 10-12 days a year (doves, forest grouse, waterfowl, and pheasants) and plenty of camping and fishing. If the past is any indication, she will probably spend time between my 5 yr olds bed, and the sofa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon,
you've made a very big mistake. 10 to 12 day's a year? Are you kidding me? This breed requires 10 to 12 weekends a year not days!!!!
I surely hope you are at least a 2 mile morning jogger before getting ready for that morning shower.

Utah?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Jon,
you've made a very big mistake. 10 to 12 day's a year? Are you kidding me? This breed requires 10 to 12 weekends a year not days!!!!
I surely hope you are at least a 2 mile morning jogger before getting ready for that morning shower.

Utah?

Mistake? I wasnt aware of a quota. Only 2 miles? How can you possibly keep any dog fit.

Luckily I leave in the mountains at the head of 18 miles of biking trails. Not to mention my 5 yr old who can successfully wear out a family reunion. Utah? Apparently you have never been here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did your pup come from Scott Hegestrom in Ogden?

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WY:
Did your pup come from Scott Hegestrom in Ogden?

I am getting the pup from Vom Wasatch kennel
www.vomwasatch.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am getting the pup from Vom Wasatch kennel www.vomwasatch.com

Then you're in good hands!!! Say hi to Shane for me...just saw him in September...we share the same breeding lines....same look and they got horsepower...here's my bitch from the same kennel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Then you're in good hands!!! Say hi to Shane for me...just saw him in September...we share the same breeding lines....same look and they got horsepower...here's my bitch from the same kennel

Yes, as I have started looking at this breeders around the area, most came from this kennel. It that Katja in the picture? I am excited about the breed, it may increase my hunting time. I am interested in hunting hares now. As a kid, before able to hunt big game, thats what I hunting in the mts of southern utah.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jon,
Yes that is Katja....if you are going to be shooting hare/rabbits over the dog, talk to Shane about the "Halt" command (down on the whistle). I teach all my dogs this command and overlay a hand signal as well. Really helps control the dog when a hare flushes from cover. You'll need it for safety purposes.

Put up a picture of that pup when you get it...and good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon Beutler,

Live in Utah for 5 to 6 year's near Garden City/Bear lake and still visit Utah every Thanksgiving.

Utah still don't hold a candle when I hunt the Snake River and the Owyhee reservior and river.
Have fun with that Drahthaar.

Be sure to take a look at that book that I mentioned in the previous post and please take advantage of the Deutsch Drahthaar forums which has been slow lately.

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Guys,

What about the directions given in the Delmar Smith Method ? Sure they´re old, but I thought they still being used.

I´ve read Wolter, but trainers around here prefer Hickox aproach on pointing dogs. Me too.

What do ya think ?

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote