New
Find
Notify
Tools

KUVASZ
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had 4 kuvs, 3 rescues and one from a pup. I was just curious if others have them. I currently have one Kuv rescue and I also rescued a Pyrenees which is similar but a drooling monster. The Pyr can turn water to jello in one drink.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I know someone here who does Kuvasz rescue. Have not had one myself but have fostered many Anatolian Shepherd and Pyr mixes. Livestock guardians can make great dogs for sure.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My reading tells me that the Kuv is a very different dog to the Pyrenee's. It is written that he is an awesome and very capable guard dog that is not to be taken lightly. very similiar in character to the Kommodor........

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Definitely a different breed with a reputation for being less people-friendly than the Pyrs. I hesitiate to generalize too much as the temperament variation within breeds can be quite large.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kuvasz was the Hungarian King's guard. And what a Knight he is. Loyal playful family dog, but when danger lurks, on goes the armour and then you will have to kill him or her to get to the family. They require companionship, they are not a leave in the kennel type dog. Mine have all lived in our house and I take them to work with me. They like people but do not threaten his charges, the eyes glaze and you get to see a hurricane.

Sheepherders raise them with sheep and without much human contact. They then see the sheep as their charges. Coyotes and wolves can't kill a sheep without really earning it.

I have only had one PYR and he is a big white luv bug. He is physically bigger but this one anyway is no KUV. It seems they are like mountain lions. Mountain lions are bigger than leopards with all the same equipment, yet they do not have the heart.

Every Kuv I have had or heard about has been a "leopard".