New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed, please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering taking in a 3.5y/o Chesapeake. An intact male. He came back to the breeder due to illness of his owner.
He has an immaculate pedigree.
But he will have to remain intact for breeding purposes.
We have been parents of Chesapeakes before.

So the question I am asking of those I know.
Am I asking for trouble?

He will be a hunter and my lap dog!!

Thanks
Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
You should be fine as long as you never intend to board him as they require males to be neutered.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Being neutered to board must be an kennel specific thing. We have boarded our intact Shorthair as recent as last week and it never came up. I also must say he is in his own run and they are aware I don't want any butt sniffing get togethers while he is there.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the dog. Chesapeakes were bred to be protective (I suspect that's what you're getting at). I've trained with a couple of intact males from Alaska in a field trial group and they are the biggest sweeties you can imagine, great with other dogs and people. Not all are

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I am getting at is can a male that has had experience be kept at a home where he has the opportunity to be outside alone. Or will he not be able to control the urge and end up dead along the road. I do not live along the road but just like deer it only takes a minute for a dog to get there.

I am fully aware of Chesapeakes and have no issues whatsoever with them.
They are not stubborn, hardheaded or mean. They are different, they belong to you! They only belong to your wife when you are off hunting without them.

We have pretty much decided not to take him. His grand sire was a dual champion, one of only 13 Chessie as such.
He is much too valuable for me to take that chance. I really wish I could because I was mesmerized by him.
The prey drive was incredible!!

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are not stubborn, hardheaded or mean. They are different, they belong to you! They only belong to your wife when you are off hunting without them.

If anything, they tend to be soft. Cool dogs. I compete against one DC in addition to the two other males I mentioned that I train with. I can see why you were mesmerized by one.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote