Find
Notify
Tools

Wet Greeting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted
My great little dog, an Austrian Brandl-Brache (kind of looks like a black and tan for you Murkans out there) is 4 1/2 months old, and is doing great. With one exception, he always lets out a little piss when he sees me and greets me. He doesn't do this with anyone else in the family, just me. If I come home from work, he goes absolutely nuts and starts jumping up and down and whimpering and running in a circle for a few seconds, and he always lets out a few shots of pee. Most people say this will go away, but it is getting a little nerve wracking, and a mess to clean up. When I get up in the morning, he gets excited and pees, when I come back out of the shower, he gets excited and pees, when I come back up from the basement, he gets excited and pees.

I try getting him out of the 'excited' stage by getting him to sit, but as soon as I pet or touch him, he still lets out a little squirt of piss.

It's getting to the point that I am afraid I'm going to send him the wrong signal, as instead of getting happy about seeing him, I'm afraid he notices that I get pissed off about him pissing.

Will he ever grow out of this?

Mike

Posts: 84 | Location: A transplanted Texan in Germany | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Hi

This might go away soon, or it might not.. I have seen young dogs of up to 1 1/2 do this everytime they greet someone.

I would say it's time to play it cool Smiler When you get home, ignore the pup, don't look at it, not a word to it, just go about your regular stuff. Talk to your family, not the dog. And if he pisses, ignore it completly, try to display absolutly no emotions at all. After about 30 min, maybe a pet on the head, and a quiet hello.

And try to use weekend and afternoons to practice greeting, you leave the house for 10 sec, go back in, you leave for 15 sec, etc... Untill you coming home is so boring for the dog that he just don't care Smiler

Anyway, if possible, maybe someone could take the dog out, before you come home, so atleast the bladder is empty.

And to make it totaly clear, I'm in no way an expert on dogtraing, but this is what I would do if it was my dog.

You should read some books about puptraining, they might be helpfull.

If nothing else works, greet your dog in the garden Wink

Johan

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I had a very similar problem with my pup earlier this year. She would get very excited greeting people and pee a bit on the floor. Luckily, she had finally grown out of it.

We started ignoring her when we would come home and put her outside immediately upon our return home. Once she had used the bathroom, we would then greet her. It took about 4-5 months but she finally quit doing it.

Good luck!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My little Jack Russell, Bill, had a habit when he was younger. When he met some guy who did not pay any attention to him, he'd go over and piss on his shoe. Make a hell of a spit shine if the chap had a rag with him. rotflmo

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I had a very similar problem with my pup earlier this year. She would get very excited greeting people and pee a bit on the floor. Luckily, she had finally grown out of it.

We started ignoring her when we would come home and put her outside immediately upon our return home. Once she had used the bathroom, we would then greet her. It took about 4-5 months but she finally quit doing it.

Good luck!!

This is very good advice! Don't let him get excited when meeting you.

Good luck weith that dog, I always liked that breed.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're the designated "Alpha Dog" ! ! !

I've no advice except to love this pal. He loves you!

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote