Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota's First Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Today, Nov. 1st, my pup, Dakota, turned 7 months old. She was born on April Fools day. I couldn't think of a better birthday gift than to take her on her first hunting trip. We went to a pheasant preserve about 30 mins from the house.

We ended up with 5 birds total on 4 shots. She caught one of the hens on the ground. All birds she found herself, flushed and retrieved to hand. I saw another rooster but he was high tailing it over a hil. We tried to get up there as quickly but he gave us the slip.

Here is a picture of her first flush and retrieve.

Picture of myself and Dakota.

Picture of Dakota.

I don't think we could have had a better birthday outing!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What breed of dog is that?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Cool

I have posted some pics of my chocolate lab's first retrieve here before. Love to see people with their young dogs enjoying the fruits of their training labours!

Incidently my chocolate lab's name is Dakota too. I eventually shortened it to "Kody" as it was easier to yell when training. Big Grin

Congrats on a great experience with your new hunting partner.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Norseman,

Her breed is a Deutscher Wachtelhund. The majority of her breed are roan in color but she is 99.9% liver in color. She has about 10-15 white hairs on her chest right between her front legs.

Canuck,

Thanks for the compliments! We've certainly had fun learning together. I took her out this weekend for the opening weekend of quail season in Oklahoma. We ended up with 4 birds Saturday and 1 on Sunday (the only bird I shot at). It was interesting to see the confusion on her face when we got into the first big covey of about 50-70 birds. She was like 'Holy crap! Where did they all come from!?'

I don't think it would be a good idea to shorten her name to Kody because mine is Cody! I don't know who would be more confused, her or me!! clap

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote