THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    We lost a family member today.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We lost a family member today.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Kush, My wife's miniature Dachshund. He was twelve years old. I bought him as a Birthday present for my wife. The last couple of years he'd had thyroid problems and was allergic to the medication, so next to no treatment was possible for him. We changed diets and did everything we could but the last few weeks his health had been declining badly. A few months back he started having problems with his hind end and couldn't walk very well anymore. Then a couple days ago he stopped eating and today he started having breathing problems...we couldn't stand to see him suffer any longer so we took him to the Vet and had him put to sleep...it's so hard to let go of them...it's almost like loosing one of our kids...

When he was young and healthy, we used to own 3 acres in Wyoming that our back fence was against 3000 acres of landlocked BLM...there was a huge prairie dog town on it and I used to take him with me shooting prairie dogs...after a few shots the prairie dogs would all hide and quit coming out of their holes...so I would turn him loose and he'd head down the first hole he came to...you wouldn't believe how fast prairie dogs will vacate their homes with a mad Dachshund is hot pursuit...

Here's a picture of him from his younger days:

I'm gonna miss him.

RIP Little Man 12-22-2011

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From "The Art of Racing in the Rain":
“In Mongolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog’s master whispers in the dog’s ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat of fat is cut off and placed in his mouth to sustain his soul for its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog’s soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like."
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very difficult to lose a member of the family.

Most sincere condolences for your loss. Will take a while to be grateful for the gift of his time rather than feel the loss.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Colin, very sorry, know how you feel, still think about our dog nearly every day.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Colin, mine and Lora's incerest condolences on the loss of your friend.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
A dog loves you regardless of your ethnicity, income, gender, or appearance. Never lies to you. Loves you unconditionally even if you don't always treat it right. Saying goodbye is hard and the grief is real and deep.
I love dogs and feel for you as I know the loss is especially difficult during the holiday season.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about you loosing your buddy...they are game little dogs...a lot more dog in that stature then you would expect. There is one of these dogs in my future...maybe the wirehaired variety...

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that recently. Frowner

My condolences.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss!!!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our condolences go out to you. While you won't forget the lil one, go out and get another that needs the home and the love you used to give to that one. You won't be cheating on him and he will understand completely.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My sympathy to you. I've lost 3 dogs and it does not get any easier.
Nick10Ring

Posts: 58 | Location: Struthers,Ohio | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for understanding and letting me share my grief with you.
My wife was really depressed over the loss of her "Kush", so I did some digging around on the Internet and found a litter of Mini-Ausssies over in western Kansas. The breeders happen to have some family traveling back from the holidays past our house and they delivered the newest Member of our Family this afternoon.

So without further ado, here is Sir Thomas:
http://bridgetteslife.files.wo...2011/12/img_0004.jpg
He was a little tired from his trip but after some rest, a little food and water and a trip to the vet to make sure he was healthy, he perked up:
http://bridgetteslife.files.wo...2011/12/img_0009.jpg
http://bridgetteslife.files.wo...2011/12/img_0010.jpg
He looks like a miniature version of my "Bridgette" ( http://bridgetteslife.wordpress.com/ )only he'll never get to be as big as she is since she is a full size Blue Merle Aussie and He is a Mini-Blue Merle Aussie(kind of a mini-me thing going on). Ha-Ha.

Best of all though he made my Wife extremely happy and kind of forced her out of her depression.
http://bridgetteslife.files.wo...2011/12/img_0012.jpg

Again thank you all for understanding our loss.

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
i can feel your pain ,only a puppie can help a bit ,but you will never forget him ,perhaps someday we will met them again .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those of us that share our lives with dogs
share your sorrow.....

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Know your pain, still mourning the loss of my dog. Juan is right get a puppy soon, won't stop the pain but will mitagate it some.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote