THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Upland dog for people with allergies

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upland dog for people with allergies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We just lost our 14 yr old this past Thursday, and will most likely look for a new companion in the spring. Is there any breed that would be good for upland hunting that has low dander and low shedding, for those of us suffering from allergies?

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. My wife is allergic to cats, horses and some dogs. We got a Weimaraner. It still sheds, but it is very hard to see the hair. He gets a weekly bath and my wife has very little problems with him. In the very cold parts of winter i'll just put him in the tub and brush him really good to get his hair out without bathing him. If I don't bath him my wife will get red and itch if she rubs up against him. Its been working fairly well for two and a half years now. Good luck.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The skin rash is one of the problems I have had also. I've noticed it with a lot of the short haired dogs (I believe their dander level is higher than some of the long hairs). I also seem to vapor-lock when exposed for long periods of time.

I think I could live with the shedding if there wasn't any respiratory issues.

Thanks for the reply; I'll keep researching. Who knows, in the end I may end up with another Bichon lap dog; that dog won't hunt, but it filled the bill in the other categories.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
I was told to look at standard poodles as a hunting dog. I know they are water dogs but am not sure if they would work for upland. I couldn't get over the poodle thing though. I have heard nothing but good about them if you can find a breeder that uses them to hunt with not just show. Good luck.

WOODY

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try a "slick" pudelpointer.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I'm alergic to dogs and I'm a dog handler homer. I have also found short haired dogs to be worse, for me anyway. My ridgeback would give me a rash everytime I'd pat him but my GSD work dog would only effect me when he got dirty. I'd bath him once a month. Any more than that and you wash out the natural oils that they produce to protect their skin.
I'd go for a poodle or poodle cross. They bred poodle X Labs for blind people with allergies, perhaps you coudld track one down.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
My wifes allergies went away when she was pregnant!!! We have three kids now and the dog is only 2.5 years old. Sounds like a good idea until its put to test.Good luck!

WOODY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from an uneventful week in the woods, whitetail hunting (it was still better than a week at work). Thanks all, for your responses.

I've heard a number of people talk about the Pudelpointer and I will look into it further. My wife currently is looking into a Whoodle(sp?). It's a cross between a Wheaton Terrier and a Standard Poodle. It sounds okay for the house and health, but I'm almost certain it will not be of any benefit in the field.

This may be an issue where I can't get the best of everything. If so, I'll pass on the field dog and be happy with a compatible companion.

I'm also having difficulty justifying the high prices for these "designer" breeds not acknowledged by the AKC. Many if not most of these concoctions have asking prices higher than either the sire/dame would sell for as a purebred.

In the end, this may be the price I have to pay to be able to live with the dog and their temperament. Thanks again for all your replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dodge Dude,

what do you really want? a hunting dog or a house pet to look at? or perhap's another dog to feed to make your wife happy?

Are you a upland/waterfowl hunter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norseman,

I would like an upland dog; and yes to your other questions. I'm not looking for some tool that will be housed outside in a kennel next to an outbuilding. With that said, do you have anything of added value to contribute?

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dodge Dude:
Norseman,

I would like an upland dog; and yes to your other questions. I'm not looking for some tool that will be housed outside in a kennel next to an outbuilding. With that said, do you have anything of added value to contribute?

Dodge Dude

I am an allergy sufferer also. I got a Drahthaar a couple of years ago and have suffered only minor repercussions with him. Sheds very little and dander isn't a problem till we hunt and he gets into the cut corn and such. Even I get dusty in that stuff.

Deutsch Drahthaars are fantastic upland dogs, he's a pheasant machine, and he also retrieves water fowl. He's also a great tracker, he found a friend of mines deer. It wasn't quite ready to give up the ghost yet and Fritz, my dog, attacked it. He's all heart.

You might want to consider the breed.

Best wishes, Bill

P.S. Fritz is 100% housedog. He is also my bed partner.

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Vislas do not bother my allergies.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I give up. What's dander?

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dander, is basically skin scale or "dandruff" and is more prevalent in short haired dogs. When they scratch, it becomes airborne and lands in the carpet or wherever they travel. The dander tends to aggravate allergies more than dog hair.

Stinger...I know someone at work that has a Dragthaar, I'll see if I can arrange to preview the dog and see him in the field. A couple of hours around him will tell whether he is compatible.

333_OKH...Hungarian Vislas, I have never seen the breed but have a picture at my desk of a doctored Photo-Shop pic of one; three dogs but they are all the same, cut and pasted into the photo (I like the one one on the left; very noble looking). Is that Mount Shasta in the photo?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ceeceedotca/73352983/

Thanks for the response.

One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
Check out Brittanies. They don't shed and they are great family pets. Hard to beat for upland birds; fantastic nose. Small to medium size, clean pet. Very smart and easy to train. I'm on my third Brit now.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PoppaW:
I was told to look at standard poodles as a hunting dog. I know they are water dogs but am not sure if they would work for upland. I couldn't get over the poodle thing though. I have heard nothing but good about them if you can find a breeder that uses them to hunt with not just show. Good luck.

Absolutely! I have two, great noses and can point too!

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the poodle, or maybe a labradoodle would fit your requirements. I have two wheatons and one Kerry Blue terriers, and while they are great for folks with allergies (like me), only the wheaton female shows any skill as a hunting dog. great pets though. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote