Notify
Tools

Banner picture contest
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted
How about a contest?

Best submission for a banner picture gets an AR patch?

Post them in your reply to this thread and then we'll have a vote.

Don

Posts: 26538 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about these?

Although they are mine, I think they would represent what the Forum is about. They contain the basic tools that are needed for long range shooting; Rifle with a bipod and a rear bag, scope with target knobs, Kestrel portable weather station, range finding binoculars, portable PDA with a ballistic program, hearing protection, nice long range field in which to shoot....

The pics quality ain't so bad either! Big Grin

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I've got some pictures from the other end of the spectrum.....let me see if I can find them!

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one from the receiving end that might tell the Forum's story...

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Let's see what I got.

818 yds

1000 yds with my 6.5x47, 130 Berger VLD's out of my Surgeon/AICS.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't even have my rifle assembled until the end of May! Would rotating banners be feasible? Turbodieselregister.com has rotating banners...they change at specified intervals.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one isn't banner worthy but I like it so here it is. My Dakota 6br over the hood in S. Dakota.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Nomo,

Nice stick of wood.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heh, I think you own the finest looking piece of wood in Utah Smiler

Just Sunday I bedded a 6mm Dasher on a Stiller Diamondback drop-port action into an "exhibition grade" McSwirley stock in the Hunter BR mold. 26" 10 twist bbl short throated for the 75 grain V-max.
Can't wait to load develop for it then off to the p-dog towns in May.

Here it is before I bedded it:

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
Heh, I think you own the finest looking piece of wood in Utah Smiler

"exhibition grade" McSwirley

Nomo,

Thanks for the nice complement and I will agree with your McSwirley comment. It's very nice.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was just kidding. It oughta shoot though.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Wha county are you in?

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nomo4me,

That would be a Dakota predator if I'm correct. Which iteration. Don't remember if you have any Coopers, if so, how do you rate the "feel" of the stock, the fit and finish and wood of the Dakaota in regards to the Cooper montana varminter or varmint extreme?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedub,
Predator is alright, can't say it's a better shooter than a Cooper. The workmanship IMO is a bit better than Cooper as commenserate with the price.
Can use Rem 700 triggers so that's a plus over the Cooper.
Primary extraction takes place at the very top of the bolt lift via a radius surface - not the best design. You'll find yourself hooking your thumb over the scope if you need to pull a sticky case from the chamber.

My biggest beef is the bolt can be a little sticky to work if dry. That's the case with most Dakota bolt guns as they don't do any post machining heat treat. I'd like to get the bolt fluted or melonite coated to slick it up - we'll see if I want to keep this one around long enough to spend the $$ on it.
I don't have any problem getting sub 1/2" groups with this one using ammo loaded on my LNL progressive press so accuracy is fine for my needs.

HTH

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post