THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Long Range AR Rifles - LaRue and Others
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range AR Rifles - LaRue and Others
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you guys have and are shooting some long range AR pattern rifles that you like and can recommend?

For me it would mostly be for shooting paper out to 500 yards, but also for varmints out at 300 to maybe 500 as well. I have been looking at some builds, as well as some complete rifles from suppliers like LaRue, whose products I really like.

Sometime soon I am going to choose and purchase a new and a bit different kind of rifle. Ones I had thought are either a Sharps blackpowder, or an upgraded lever gun, or a long range AR platform rifle.

I can wait a while on the Sharps as I might get some other shop space built and then I can add some lead work space in to the reloading set up. I have lever rifles already. And I have just regular AR-15 rifles too.

A buddy of mine bought a built target gun in 260 Remington and I want to shoot with him some at 400 and 500 yards. But I would like a semi- auto and in 223 as I am already all set up for that but would need to add in some 77grain match style loading for long range shooting at paper and metallic targets. I would also be able to use the long range AR for some coyotes and crows and that kind of thing. Just for fun.

Do you have any set ups and rifles that you like? From LaRue or Bushmaster or from DPMS etc or from a custom builder. What kind of accuracy and range are you getting and what kind of mods do you recommend?

And any rough idea on price if you care to share that information. The LaRue 5.56 OBR runs in at about $2000 without the optics, but it is pretty well set up too.

Thanks.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't be disappointed in the OBR. Shot some recently during some training. Now I need one. I've had great luck with LaRue products and am very impressed with his rifles. I've only shot the 7.62x51mm though.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
My experience has been with Rock River Arms. I currently shoot their National Match A2. They also have a longer barrel varmint model, flat top. Both are 3/4 minute rifles from the shop. The NMA2 is MSRP $1350 I think, I'm not to current on the Varmint Models.

I shoot the 77 SMK out to 600 and I've shot the Berger 80.5 at 600 and 1000. I'd like to try a scoped varmint with a 24 inch barrel at 1000.

www.rockriverarms.com

I haven't shot anything from Compass Lake but their reputation is rock solid. White Oak also comes highly recommended.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a LWRC Reaper with 20 inch barrel as a SWAT duty gun and it will shoot sub minute groups to 600 yards with factory Federal GMM 175gr that is as far I have shot with it even with is suppressor in place at 100 yards in only makes one hole and I love the left side charging handle. RNB

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm - Yes I have have some Larue parts and accessories and it is all top stuff. Once I even had a little problem with a piece and called them and a new part was here the next day before I even returned the defective one ! So I believe their rifle is tops too.

Sam - I looked at a Rock River but I did not know about their delivery. But thank you for reminding me about Compass Lake and White Oak.

I know White Oak has built some great barrels and I see they have a complete 6.8 upper too. Even if I got the Larue I might at some point have a 6.8 too. And they arent nearly as expensive as I thought. I am going to ring them up.

rnb - The Land Warfare is starting to get around down here. The ones I saw were carbines but I bet the 308 is a shooter. I was trying to stay to the smaller caliber though.

Thanks a lot guys.

Anybody offer any ideas on triggers? I see Larue uses the Gisselle as do most of them selling triggers. At one time I thought some of these match triggers were known for lighter primer strikes. My triggers have been good so far.

White Oak has some long barrel uppers like 24 inch in 223. I was thinking the 1 - 8 barrels for what I am shooting. What do you say? And then , what about putting a suppressor on that long barrel?

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few makers of 15's capapble of doing very well at 600yds and beyond on the market today. On the firing line at Perry and other major matches you will see quite a few of Rock Rivers. Good stuff, but I have used Compass Lake "space gun" uppers for long range(600yds) and they definitely shoot very well and quality build in every respect. Used Jewell triggers for years, but the Gisselle unit seems to be the preferred one these days. Give Mr. Frank White a call at CLE and tell him just what you are wanting to do with the rifle and he will be of assistance. Season is just around the corner and lead time may be getting long.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you MFD. I am going to give them a ring one day next week and see what they might have .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex
I have a DPMS 308B that is crazy accurate with hand loads. I have made consistent hits on steel at 1000yds at the Tiger Valley range. http://www.tigervalley.com/
Loads were with Varget and 175gr Sierras and the 155gr Lapua Scenar. Reality is that it is about an 800yd rifle. I have killed deer at just over 200yds with it.

All my AR15s have been 1/8 and 1/9 twist factory guns. I tried some 75gr stuff but couldn’t push them fast enough when loaded to magazine length. Dropped to the 68 and 69gr stuff and they all shot very well. The accuracy of my guns fell off hard at 600yds. The bad news is the 16 heavy Rock River upper I have been working with, shoots the 65gr TSX into a dime at 100yds. I just wish it liked a cheaper bullet.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with that too, Dick. I put the 77 grain in the post before I thought it out as well. In the regular AR rilfes and carbines I have used the 55 mostly, and some 52's and up to the 65's as you say owing to magaizne length. I considered later that I was most likely looking at the 60-65-69 grain for long range work.

As much as I like the 308 I am kind of "in" the 223 platform. And for what it will be used for varmints, coyotes, crows, paper and dinging some metal targets I think it works. Not as good as a 308, but good for my purpose. I wont do any game hunting with it unless I can find a real good load and a small pig LOL.

My buddy's rifle is suppossed to be good to go out to 800yds but it is a bolt target 260. If I can just hit the target out there at all then I am happy.

What scope are you using? While the Nightforce is the rage of the long range tactical group, I am thinking either the 6.5 x 20 or the 8.5 x 25 Leupold on the LaRue mount for probably any rifle I would pick. I just dont think the weather here allows too many times above 20X. But I cant say for sure. I am not going to be spinning the turrets every shot either.

Where is the home of Tiger Valley BTW? Dallas, Waco, or other. Looked nice but did not say where it is.

Thank you for your post.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Try 77 SMK's with 24 grains of Varget seated at mag length. Should be around 2700 fps.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I have done very well with White Oak Armament's CMP upper assembly at mid-range(600 yd). The 1-7 twist barrel holds the X-ring with 82 gr. Berger bullets. The 223 Rem is marginal at long range(800, 900, & 1000 yd), especially on a windy day.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

Posts: 100 | Registered: 04 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex
The 308 has a Burris 3x12 XTR. Good glass and knobs but heavy. The Rock River has Nikon 3x12 M223 in Nikons 20moa mount. I am a big fan of the M223 as I have two of them. I do wish they were illuminated. I have a 4x14 Leupold but 14x is about all the magnification I can handle. I see too much heart beat over 14x. The Night Force scope I have been looking at is their 2x10. Great glass, lighter than the Burris but I am having a hard time justifying the price. In most hunting situations I believe field of view is more important than magnification.

All my Tiger Valley time has been spent in Waco. I have done some of there classes and matches. They have some very good instructors and I always learn from them. If you are look to put rounds down range, they are the folks.

Sam, I started running into pressure trouble before I got to 24grs.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine, Zac, works for LAR. Last week at the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo in Salt Lake City, he showed me an AR he'd slapped together in 260 Rem. Out of curiosity, wanting to see what it would do with factory ammo, he fired some Federal 140 Sierra btsp, a hunting round. At 100 yds it put 5 into sub 1/2 MOA. Impressive to say the least.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Rev- What kind of velocity can those Bergers get to?

Dick - Yes I think I will get the illuminated retcile. I tried a buddys Swarovski illuminated and I really liked it. He had tried my Swars and like them so he got one but with the Illum. I ordered a VX-6 illuminated to try for something else, a 416, but it is not here yet.

GSS- The 260 is suppossed to be a real shooter as is my buds new bolt. He said he hit a plate at 800, with the builder helping, so we will see. I am not looking at that just 300 or even 500 would be great.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dick, I have a DPMS SASS (308)that shoot real nice.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post