New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon BDC testing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had the opportunity to help out a friend get his 300RUM ready for caribou.

We loaded 180gr TTSX's to 3200fps at around 1" groups x 3 shots @ 100yds.

He recently purchased a Nikon Monarch 3 x 12 w/ BDC reticle, and we gave it a run through with the above load.

The drop values indicated correctly all the way out to 600yds, with my friend not having any problems hitting a 10" target all the way out to & including that distance, without any prior long range experience.

I've always used Leupold XIII scopes, but I have to say I am impressed with the Nikon Monarchs optics, solid / consistant clic adjustments, locking parallax adjustment & their BDC / website calculator. Just to see how far they would go, I was changing up the zero ranges on the calculator, and was surprised to see they will estimate drops beyond 1200 yds.

If you need a long range hunting scope,you might want to look into the Nikon Monarchs.

Nice Job Nikon!!!

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Monarchs have always been a great deal for the price. As clear as anything else I've used, and I've had them all.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I as well am a Leupold fan, but some years ago bought the Nikon Shotgun scope, 1-4X, since Gander Mtn had really dropped the price on them and that scope has been on everything from AR15's to 458Lott and has never given any problems. Good value for the dollar.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with the BDC recticle. I put one on a 16" heavy barrel AR15 when they first came out.

I've shot it quite a bit with 55gr and 68gr loads and its pretty much right on the money.

I took my girlfriend who had never fired a gun before shooting one after noon. Started her out with a Weatherby .22 and some CCI CBs. Then she wanted to shoot my buck mark and my .45. I was really surprised at how well she took to it.

On the way to leave I had a few 2 liter soda bottles filled with water. I placed them on the ground and we started to drive away. About 200yrds out she asked me if I was ever going to stop. When I hit 300 I turned the truck sideways and brought out the AR. I explained the trigger and safety to her and told her which circle to use. She laid the rifle across the hood and on the first shot the bottle on the right exploded. Two shots later the one on the left blew up.

So easy a woman who had never fired a gun could do it!

I'll also add that once you learn the sub-tensions of the recticle it makes a great quick ranging tool.

Posts: 149 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the Nikon Buckmaster scopes with the BDC reticule and love them.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sighted in a new monarch on my rem 700, 270. Dead on at 100, dead on at 200, and dead on at 300. I can't believe how accurate the bdc is. Also the monarch is much brighter and clearer than the 12 year old buckmaster I took off the rem.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanna go get me one...sounds like what I've been needing...Thanks!

BTW, because I'm in a pinch...do you think out to ~600yds the 3-9x40 BUCKMASTER w/ BDC would be decent as well...don't have the moolah to get a MONARCH???

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late-Bloomer,
Check out Ebay. Right now there is a new Monarch UCC 3-9x40 for 215. I got mine from Ebay for 209 shipped.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late-Bloomer,
Sorry, the one on Ebay has a nikoplex not a BDC. My mistake.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neazor91:
Late-Bloomer,
Sorry, the one on Ebay has a nikoplex not a BDC. My mistake.

Mike

no problem, and thanks for the heads-up about ebay... tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post