New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Britain wins Worlds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Great Britian has won the World Long Range Palma team championship in Brisbane, Australia. The South African team finished second and the US team third. This makes it about 4 times running the Brits have won it. The next opportunity for the US and other teams to get even will be in 2015 somewhere in the US. The range for this world championship has not been determined yet but most likely will be at Camp Perry, Ohio.
http://www.2011.nraa.com.au/results.php

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to start a fight or anything, but I was unaware that the Palma matches were called "world championships", and I thought the range was always 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Shooting at that level is not like other sports. In football or baseball, losing coaches get into shouting matches, players get into fights and badmouth each other after the game. At Bisley and Perry the winner is carried on the shoulders of the competitors he beat. Shooters know the quality of the man, and the team, that beat them. I think that is sufficient praise indeed. Like I said, not trying to start a fight but we (I) do not want to compare Palma matches with the World Series or even the World Little league series where the team from Taiwan was banned because they kept winning!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Palma match is the climactic event of the World Championships and determines the best team. It is held in conjunction with individual matches, Veterans team (60 years old and over) and Under 25 team matches between competitors from the different countries. It is held every 4 years in conjunction with the host countrie's long range championship matches. In the case of Imperial countries it's called Fullbore and ranges are from 300 yds to 1,000 yds. Usually individual winners are chaired by their own team members but it's not restricted to them by any means. I have seen tempers flare on occasion but you're correct it is rare.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Not to start a fight or anything, but I was unaware that the Palma matches were called "world championships", and I thought the range was always 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Shooting at that level is not like other sports. In football or baseball, losing coaches get into shouting matches, players get into fights and badmouth each other after the game. At Bisley and Perry the winner is carried on the shoulders of the competitors he beat. Shooters know the quality of the man, and the team, that beat them. I think that is sufficient praise indeed. Like I said, not trying to start a fight but we (I) do not want to compare Palma matches with the World Series or even the World Little league series where the team from Taiwan was banned because they kept winning!
Peter.

Peter,

If the winner of the match is the best in the world, then I would believe it to be the "world championship" whether or not the match is so titled. I agree with the point of not grouping the shooting sports with baseball.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
You should see the conditions we mostly shoot in. hilbily

You have to become good at reading the wind at Bisley or it all feels like one big waste of ammo....

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed! I think the word "magpie" should be removed from the English lexicon!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll bite. To whom is the magpie reference made? I'm not especially chatty, and certainly not a noisy black and white bird related to a jay.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At Bisley, at least when I was shooting there, the target scoring (for fullbore shooting) was:
Bull
Inner
Magpie
Outer
Miss
Magpies (maggies) were the bane of many a shooter!
Peter.

posted Hide Post
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
At Bisley, at least when I was shooting there, the target scoring (for fullbore shooting) was:
V-bull
Bull
Inner
Magpie
Outer
Miss
Magpies (maggies) were the bane of many a shooter!
Peter.

The voice of experience I see!

Hence the old target rifle shooter's saying, "Watch those Magpies and the V-bulls will take care of themselves"

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never did get a V-Bull!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clowdis. Congrats on winning the NC state championship. Making Randleman proud.

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should see the conditions we mostly shoot in.

You have to become good at reading the wind at Bisley or it all feels like one big waste of ammo....

Amen brother!

We always pick the worst days to practice - funny how hard it is to get guys to shoot when the conditions aren't "just right" LOL!

Posts: 2554 | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to take anything away from the Brits winning the championship, but an issue that sometimes is overlooked is the ability of the their shooters to travel/practice at far less effort than we in the States. Shot Long Range and Palma for several years, made High Master and foolishly gave thought to trying out for the Palma Team. I was gamefully employed at that time and to do the travel, time, and yes expense was more than I could arrange at that time. The years between these matches is devoted to training and practice and the U.S. is a large country and to go to the West Coast, New Mexico, etc. takes a lot of dedication and commitment on those involved. Going end to end in Great Britain is a whole lot less travel than the breadth of the U.S. Again, take nothing from the Brits for they are definitely an outstanding group of shooters and are to be admired for their accomplishments. Now that I am retired have more time, but less money and just have to cling to my memories of the past.
Am going to "give it a go" at Ottawa this coming August for the Canadian Nationals and see if I can still read the wind and mirage. No pressure, just for fun these days.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max Trauma:
Clowdis. Congrats on winning the NC state championship. Making Randleman proud.

Thanks, finally got one over on Kent Reeve!