THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Getting new heavy barrel. Change calibers?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting new heavy barrel. Change calibers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have, after an unpleasant afternoon of shooting, decided I need to go ahead with the purchase of a heavier, longer barrel.

My rifle is Remy 700 300RUM factory 26" with Vais brake(which I am not totally happy with either).

Big dilemma is changing calibers. I have not yet invested in dies or components for reloading this ctg, so no loss there.

Barrel makers I am considering are Hart, Lilja, and Broughton. I have a heavy bbl 308 with Hart that is fantastic. A co-worker has a 338Imperial(Forerunner of the 338Edge right?) with a 32" Broughton that is INCREDIBLE!

I would like stick with a RUM ctg.

Is it time to step up the game and go 338?

Is the 375RUM a player in this long range game?

Twist rates?

Thanks for your patience and opinions.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy reloading equipment!

You don't say why you are unhappy with the rifle and / or chambering. Ballistics, accuracy, recoil, killing power or? I assume it is a sporter barrel and not a sendero and I must say that without a brake I'd guess it is unpleasant to shoot. The break should make it ok though, as would a Limbsaver reecoil pad.

Maybe spend the money on the rifle as is and change things without rebarreling? Then spend money on reloading equipment and shoot the bullets that you want from precision loaded ammunition and you may be in a whole new world.

I can say that my friend's Sendero was about 0.75 MOA out to 600m plus (personally witnessed and appraently beyond 1000m based on reports).

I do suggest the heavier bullets in the RUM, 200gr plus SMK, VLD, A-MAX etc. that I doubt you are finding in factory ammo and I cannot imagine shooting factory ammo at long range in any rifle, as it is seldom up to the standard that you need. I think this is the key to your issues, but as I said you didn't say what's bothering you.

What do you want to hunt with it? If there is a lot of really long range big game (elk for example) on the list the .338's are probably better and you could go straight to the Edge (which is off the .300 RUM case which is larger than the .338 RUM case).

Good luck and report back!

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 Rum is a player and the 350 Matchkings are back. I have a 338 Rum and I like that rifle but I am working on building a 375 Rum with a 10 twist. You only need a 12 twist for the 350 SMK but I know Berger has a 375 cal bullet in the works and I would not be surprised if it will need a 10 twist so I am planing ahead.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Number one reason for a heavier barrel is to do what the brake isn't doing, keeping the muzzle flip down and suppressing recoil. Two of my friends have heavy barrel rigs and when shooting them I am able to maintain cheek weld and keep my sight picture after pulling the trigger. On my rig the brake only softens the recoil a bit. Honestly my 375H&H is more pleasant to shoot from a bench and a couple sand bags than this rifle is. Wish I had a video. When shooting mine the entire rifle comes off the bags or the bottom of the tripod legs lift about 3 inches. Despite these unfavorable conditions I was still able to produce very acceptable groups and ring any silhuette or gong available on the range(out to 500yds)using Remington ammo...200gr A-Frames. Not the ideal "long range" bullet but it worked.

I intended to go with a KDF brake but one of my buddies convinced me to get a Vais brake. I figured it wouldn't make much difference. Could it ?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can believe that a sporter weight 300 RUM is a handful.

What stock is on the rifle? You can add weight without a heavier barrel if that is all you need.

The heavier barrel, if the job is correctly done, will probably shoot better for groups (more stable as it heats up and easier to find the sweet spot/s) and help dampen recoil and enable better follow through.

Would you consider selling the rifle and buying a factory Sendero? I'm just thinking about what would be the most cost effective, although I've been down the rebarrel route before myself!

At longer range the high BC 338's do add a lot, but again it's a big recoiling cartridge and I would probably mean a far heavier rifle. Speak to Defensive Edge (shawn Carlock) about the 338 Edge if the 338's are something you are considering.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mind you, just a suggestion, but if you shoot a fair amount at long range, some 2,000rnds +/yr. my suggestion would be to drop down to a lesser caliber. Recoil is controlled by one of two methods, recoil reduction system, weight of rifle, or both. If your long range shooting is beyond 1000yds one of the "big boomers" will be in order, but within the 1000yd range a caliber as the 7Mag, 300WM,6.5x84,284Win., and even the lowly 30Gov't'06 will do nicely. Whole lot less violence, excellent accuracy, considerably less cost per round, likely longer barrel life, and the big plus factor is that you will end up shooting more. About any quality barrel, Douglas, Krieger, Shilen, Hart, etc., etc., will perform well with the right loads. Again, just a suggestion, but if you like the "big boomers" good for you.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting less than 1k yards I would defiantly go with what others are saying and shoot a smaller cartridge. It sounds like you are wanting to put together a dedicated LR rig though. If that is the case, I would go with the 338 Edge. I just finished my Edge and it shoots 250 berger's .25 MOA, the 300's dont quite stabilize. I was on a budget and went with a Shilen 30'. If I were to do it again I would pick a 1 in 9.3-.5 range twist rate to stabilize 300's, and cut rifled. That being said, I would go with a Krieger barrel with a 1-9.35 twist and no more than 30in, if you can swing it.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After some deliberating, I think I'll stick with the 300RUM.

Next question without loading the board with new topics......

What barrel length to maximize available powder in a RUM case? 30, 32?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:

Load the board! That's what it's here for, different threads for different topics makes searches easier in the future.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would like stick with a RUM ctg.

Is it time to step up the game and go 338?

Is the 375RUM a player in this long range game?

Twist rates?

Thanks for your patience and opinions.

Andy

Andy, 338 Yes, 375 maybe and see twists below:

For the 338 RUM there's a great bullet slection.
Shoot for about a 1:10 twist for the 300 SMK (1.95").

Find a good source of bullets first if you go with the 375. The 375 RUM will make a good LR rifle. You'll have to search harder for match 375 bullets and pay $$$, but some are beginning to show up in the 350 grain range. About 1:10 should work for the longer 375 bullets, too.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Cutting Edge makes fantastic solid copper profectiles in .375. Some as big as 420 grains!

Unfortunately it takes a 375 CheyTac to propel them properly!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
quote:

Load the board! That's what it's here for, different threads for different topics makes searches easier in the future.

Consider it done. Thanks for the nudge!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am just starting a new 300RUM project. The big Surgeon SS with the built in 20moa rail, a 30", 10 twist Kreiger, 1.45" to .885 taper, a Holland QD brake. I prefer KDF and Holland, I have installed brakes from at least 10 other companies. Stock will be a Tooley MBR, scope is a Huskemaw 5-22 Blue Diamond or an 8x32 Nightforce BR. Should be a fun one when done.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post