New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Contour and Muzzle Brake
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking to make a 1000 yard tactical rifle. I'm choosing the 338 RUM because I have the action (Remington 700) and its a lot cheaper to shoot than the 338 Laupa. I want the rig to way aprox 11-12 lbs without a scope. I need some recommendations on barrel contour and muzzle brakes. I'm going with McMillan A-3 stock.

Posts: 167 | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
You cant go wrong with a Remington Sendero contour. That being said if you really want a LR 338 why not go with the 338 Edge? My 338 Edge has a 30in Pac-Nor #7 contour.

For muzzle brakes you want a design that does not have holes or baffles on the bottom. Otherwise it blows a bunch of dirt/grass/sand up at you and the gun. Nothing is worse than having to clean off your scope ever few rounds.I would suggest the following

SSG X-treme Brake
APS Painkiller brake
CSR 4 Port Muscle Brake

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'd also recommend a Sendero contour, and I'd recommend the Edge as well.

For brakes I'd check out straightshotgunsmithing for the Xtreme brake, APA for their Fat and Little Bastards, and Kirby Allen for a Painkiller brake. All are excellent.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shorter cartridge might allow you to seat bullets out closer to the rifling and work through the mag. It is an accuracy thing. Perhaps a .338 short mag.

Posts: 265 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
A shorter cartridge might allow you to seat bullets out closer to the rifling and work through the mag. It is an accuracy thing. Perhaps a .338 short mag.

So will using a reamer with a short throat section, ground with a custom length throat, or even better one designed to be used with a separate throating reamer.
Oh the choices we have to make, and details we need to cover, when building a rifle.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the advantage from going with a 338 RUM verses a 338 Edge???

Posts: 167 | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several different brands of muzzle breaks over the years.

The most effective IMHO is the KDF, installed in Seguine TX.

However IF I was going to shoot the rifle prone on the ground most of the time I would ask Phil if he could make his KDF brake with NO holes on the bottom of the break, as not to kick up dirt, dust, leaves, snow etc.

Another option is Magna Port.

It is not as effective in reducing recoil as the KDF. [A 300 WBY Mag with a KDF kicks less than a 308, a 378 WBY with a KDF, kicks less than a 300 Win Mag], but with Magna Port the hard rear slap is lessened, and muzzle rise is cut down to near nothing.

I have Magna Port on 300 Win Mag and 375 H&H Blaser R 93 barrels, and I really like it.

With any of the muzzle breaks you NEED ear protection all the time, I do not find Magna Port to be any louder, in the field, than a regular barrel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hglass:
What is the advantage from going with a 338 RUM verses a 338 Edge???

Case capacity. The 338 edge is more specialized for heavier bullets.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post