Notify
Tools

300 PRC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any one shooting the 300 PRC
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have one in Christensen Arms. However, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Posts: 18537 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I built one on a Remington 700. A fairly quick build as far as builds go as the rifle is based on off the shelf components but modified.
Rem. 700 receiver fully blueprinted.
PTG one piece bolt with a 1/16 diameter firing pin with a longer bolt handle for interchangeable bolt handle knobs.
Murphy precision 20 MOA picatinny rail with 8x40 screws and 1/8 inch location pins pressed in to eliminate any fore aft slip with the rail.
Receiver modified for a Wyatts outdoors magazine box and follower to feed the 3.680 length Hornady commercial ammunition 212gr ELD-M ammunition. I went with a K&P 1-9tw SS light Palma contour barrel and threaded the muzzle 5/8 x24 crowned off a 26". For now I have an ultra dyne break on it. I put a Nightforce 5x20 SHV on it for a scope. I have it pillar bedded into a Mcmillan. The trigger is a Remington mark X pro that I reworked for a 2lb pull with a clean let off. I shoots just under 1/2 MOA .400, 4 shot groups with the Hornady 212gr. For now that's all I've done with it. As with all PRC cartridge designs the seated length sets more of the bullet in the throat than in the case to eliminate cartridge case neck vs neck at chamber tolerances for closer alignment with bullet to throat, a good idea but can be accomplished with about any cartridge by simply throat reaming with a low tolerance throating reamer. Long before the 300 PRC came on the market I did a 6.5 Lepard which is essentially a 270 WSM necked to 6.5 with a longer throat to seat out a Berger 140 VLD or Hornady 143gr ELD-M and the X version of the M. on one of my titanium actions, barrel on it was a #3 Krieger a .1 rifle in a wood stock. Next was a 300 Dakota with a long throat to seat a 230gr Berger all the way out and run as close to 3000 FPS as possible, It would do the low 29's. Next was 3 28 Noslers with long thoats to seat 195gr Bergers out, 2 Remingtons 1 Winchester, one of the Remingtons was set up with a 32 inch K&P and would run 3150 and getting hits on steel sized 12x6 at 1760yds. After that 2 300 Win.Mag. MK 248 mod.1, a PTG available reamer, and low 29's on 230 Bergers out of 26" Krieger barrels. After that 1, 7mmx300 WSM and 1 7mm WSM both set up with long PRC style throats to seat out 175gr to 195gr in the 3.150 to 3.180 range, Accu-bond LR, Berger and so on. 2850 to 3050 depending on charge. RL-26 is the Key for top speed and accuracy on the long throated short mags. All the others H1000 and Retumbo. Just picked up 8lbs of 8133 for use on the 300 PRC once I use up my commercial ammo and have a few more cases to play with. So yea! played with the PRC ideas a bit and see it as making sense as that only stands to reason. People have been seating bullets out of for eons and I see the PRC's as the seated out go too off the shelf instead of a tinkering with throats and loads and seat depths etc. etc. etc. It's not new, just marketed as new. I know this kind of turned into a bit of a long winded post, but decided to share my experience with what are essentially long throated chambers for heavy for caliber high BC bullets.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen carefully to Timan.
He knows that of which he speaks.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Listen carefully to Timan.
He knows that of which he speaks.

I tried but without paragraphs, I got lost about half way through. haha

Actually I read the whole thing with interest.
Thanks Tinman!

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post