New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 long range question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am deciding between the Sierra 180gr & Berger 185 VLD for a long range target load. 2800 FPS muzzle velocity.

I've heard VLD bullets are more finicky to load for, and the Bergers are way more expensive that the Sierra 180gr. The Berger 185 has better G7 coefficient.

Opinions?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Bergers in a couple of rifles, and the rifles didn't like them. I thought they looked good, but the rifle vetoed me.

Try them. If they shoot for you, great, if not, try the Sierra's.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am having very good performance with the 208 A Max and RL 22 powder.
Regards, Keith

a

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My barrel is Bartlein 11:1 twist and I don't think 208gr will stabilize in it.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akalinin:
My barrel is Bartlein 11:1 twist and I don't think 208gr will stabilize in it.

I'd look at the 175 Sierra MK. It does very well at long range, especially out of longer barrel '06s with 11 or 12" twists.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Berger VLD's without too much work.

The website tells you how to help zero in on the right AOL length.

You can try a few different weights and also the other (non-VLD) designs if you are realyl having trouble, but for long range hunting the VLD is apparently preferred (apparently as I've not tried the others!).

And yes, if not SMK's...

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As suggested, the SMK 175 is an excellent target bullet for long range. Would not pass up using the 190's either. Shot them in 12 twist/30" Krieger for quite a few years and was told twist was wrong, but they did quite well.
Just required a bit more elevation at 1000yds but required less windage adjustment also. Have used Berger VLD's and they did fine when seated very close to lands and grooves, but did cost more. Day in, day out, Sierras tough to beat.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Andrew cempa>
posted
What is "long range'?

I ask because your max range matters most.

Also, what rifle, sounds like a bolt gun, but am not certain.

The palma type 155s from lapua or Sierra are very good for a high BC and lighter weight which allows higher velocities w/o giving up BC compared to the 175 range bullets.

I drive a 155 SMK Palma at 3000 from a 308 match (30 inch Palma gun, and 1000 yards is quite a performer. In F Class or similar applications (600 yards), it is a real flat zinger.

In medium sized cartridges, a significant loss of velocity is expected with the 30 cal heavies, a 190 often loses out to the 155 Palma n ballistics at range-espc if the temps gets cold and the air dry. you really want to get there above the tran-sonic threshold if accuracy is paramount.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine loves 178 gr AMAX, with RE-22. 60.5 gr to be exact. It isn't too fussy about seating depth. The AMAX's do pretty good in the wind also. With that being said I hunt with Beregers in both my 06 and my 300 win.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew cempa:
What is "long range'?

The palma type 155s from lapua or Sierra are very good for a high BC and lighter weight which allows higher velocities w/o giving up BC compared to the 175 range bullets.

I drive a 155 SMK Palma at 3000 from a 308 match (30 inch Palma gun, and 1000 yards is quite a performer. In F Class or similar applications (600 yards), it is a real flat zinger.

In medium sized cartridges, a significant loss of velocity is expected with the 30 cal heavies, a 190 often loses out to the 155 Palma n ballistics at range-espc if the temps gets cold and the air dry. you really want to get there above the tran-sonic threshold if accuracy is paramount.

GA Precision base model, A-5 stock, 26 inches of nearly straight barrel (#5 contour they called it). Remington 700 action, badger bottom metal, Leupold Mk4 LRT scope (10x).

GSeven ballistic calculator says supersonic to 1200 yards with 180 SMK, ~1300 yards with Berger 185 VLD (2800 fps muzzle velocity). We have one F-class 600 yard range in my area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew cempa:
What is "long range'?

GA Precision base model, A-5 stock, 26 inches of nearly straight barrel (#7 contour they called it). Remington 700 action, badger bottom metal, Leupold Mk4 LRT scope (10x).

GSeven ballistic calculator says supersonic to 1200 yards with 180 SMK, ~1300 yards with Berger 185 VLD (2800 fps muzzle velocity). We have one F-class 600 yard range in my area.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am deciding between the Sierra 180gr & Berger 185 VLD for a long range target load. 2800 FPS muzzle velocity.

I've heard VLD bullets are more finicky to load for, and the Bergers are way more expensive that the Sierra 180gr. The Berger 185 has better G7 coefficient.

Opinions?

I got 2 quick easy loads with the 185 VLD in my 06 using Re19 and Varget. Very impressed with load accuracy and results on black bear.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

Posts: 7906 | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you try the Berger don't get hung up with the " seat them into the lands for best performance" thing. As is pointed out in the article by Eric, they are just like other bullet types in that they can and do shoot well seated back off the lands as well.

My friends 300 RUM is doing nicely with them seated .125" off the lands, and they shot pretty well for me in a .308 as well as a 25-06 both seated around .050" or so off.

Mike / Tx

Posts: 444 | Registered: 19 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mke / Tx:
If you try the Berger don't get hung up with the " seat them into the lands for best performance" thing. As is pointed out in the article by Eric, they are just like other bullet types in that they can and do shoot well seated back off the lands as well.

My friends 300 RUM is doing nicely with them seated .125" off the lands, and they shot pretty well for me in a .308 as well as a 25-06 both seated around .050" or so off.

My minimum seating depth is 0.020 off the lands. I have heard the 'seat them up against the lands' advice, and consider that practice unsafe.

That being said, I just picked up a small quantity if 180gr Sierra SMK's for experimentation.