New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audette's Ladder method
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When starting an Audette's Ladder I assume one should start with a clean bore. My question is do you shoot the entire ladder after a fowler or two or do you stop periodically to clean the bore. Does it depend on the cartridge? Does it depend on the rifle? The cartridge I'll be testing is 300 win mag, the rifle a remington 700. Powder will be IMR 4831. Bullet 180 grain TTSX.

Thanks in advance for your guidance

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
If you have a barrel that you "KNOW" starts to loose it's accuracy after, say, 15 rounds, then yes you'll want to clean the bore, put a couple fouling shots through it and shoot the ladder. If not, then shoot it from a fouled bore. I now go against the grain by not even cleaning my bore anymore unless I know it fouls after a specific number of shots. I owned a CZ550 in 9.3x62 that after 40 rds was fouled with enough copper to cause the accuracy to go south. I have a 6.5x47 Lapua that hasn't been cleaned over 900 rounds and it still shoots sub 1/2 moa.

Go over Jason Baney's article on LR load development and use what you can from it.

http://www.accurateshooter.com...ge-load-development/

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Alan, your input and that link were very informative

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post